TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
So I picked up a 2000 transmission from another club member (thanks!) from a 2000 Mustang. In order to install it on my 96 I'd have to repin the harness.

Not being very knowledgeable of such things I presume I'd have to actually drop the existing transmission from the car to get to the harness on the car itself and repin it. If so, that would mean I'd also have to have the car towed to local shop for them to install the new transmission once I get the repin done.

This assume I am capable of removing a transmission in my garage by myself.

......so yeah just wanting somebody to confirm this is indeed what I would need to do???

Thought a little more on this......couldn't I buy a harness online and modify it? Then bring the transmission and harness to a shop and have them do the install. It would all be plug-n-play from their perspective then correct?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You could also drive it to the shop, have them give you the harness after they drop the trans, repin it on sight and hand it back to them. Doesn't take anymore than a glasses screwdriver to repin the connector.

If you buy the harness online just make sure it's from a 96 or 97 (V6 or V8 doesn't matter)
Excellent! I was told the stock torque converter should work, but if I'm swapping out transmission it probably makes sense to get new TC too.

Looking at RockAuto the stock TC has a 11.375 bolt pattern while a 2000 Mustang has 10.625. All of the other specs between the two TC's are identical.

Should I stick with stock sized TC for TBird, or get the TC for 2000 Mustang that matches transmission I'm putting in? Both have "mid stall" listed for stall speed so I don't know if I'd be gaining anything by putting in Mustang TC....and if I need to do anything else to get the transmission to fit?

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Excellent! I was told the stock torque converter should work, but if I'm swapping out transmission it probably makes sense to get new TC too.

Looking at RockAuto the stock TC has a 11.375 bolt pattern while a 2000 Mustang has 10.625. All of the other specs between the two TC's are identical.

Should I stick with stock sized TC for TBird, or get the TC for 2000 Mustang that matches transmission I'm putting in? Both have "mid stall" listed for stall speed so I don't know if I'd be gaining anything by putting in Mustang TC....and if I need to do anything else to get the transmission to fit?
Flex plate too from a mark VIII if I recall correctly. However I could be mistaken.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Flex plate too from a mark VIII if I recall correctly. However I could be mistaken.
Yeah, that's kind of what I'm asking. From what I've read the transmission itself does not car about bolt pattern or anything. The torque converter has specific bolt pattern that needs to match up with flexplate. I "believe" that if I stick with stock torque converter I don't need new flexplate.

It's only if I want to upgrade torque converter to match the one that came with 2000 Mustang this transmission came from I'd need to also swap out the flexplate correct?

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
It's only if I want to upgrade torque converter to match the one that came with 2000 Mustang this transmission came from I'd need to also swap out the flexplate correct?
You want a new TC so you want the 11INCH TC... you REALLY do... & good find on the Tranny.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts