TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you change out the IAC valve on a '96 4.6? I went to take it off and the bottom screw is blocked by a wire harness. I really didn't get into it much yet, just wondering what exactly has to be taken off to get at it... Seems like its going to be a PITA.

Need to change it because its sticking in cold weather.

Any help is appreciated.

·
The Parts Guy
7,344 Posts
The IAC on a '96-97 4.6L is exceptionally easy to get to. Disconnect the electrical connector, disconnect the air tube, and remove the two bolts attaching it to the front of the plenum.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
The IAC on a '96-97 4.6L is exceptionally easy to get to. Disconnect the electrical connector, disconnect the air tube, and remove the two bolts attaching it to the front of the plenum.
Yup, 5 minute fix. Unhook the connector and you have clear sailing.

Make sure you get a Motorcraft part, the third party ones don't seem to last.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I thought it looked like it was harder to get to then it is. Maybe that's why I didn't find much here about replacing it. Because its so easy.... lol

Thanks guys

·
Registered
408 Posts
You've probably already done the job, but just a headsup for everyone to be careful unplugging bay electrical connectors. All of my '96 bay plastic is suffering from embrittlement. I'm always gentle with harness connectors, but despite that my TPS connector shattered the last time I had to unplug it. It still hangs on via friction and the rubber insulator barely makes contact, but there's no retention clip anymore. The same can happen to the IAC and other bay connectors, and replacement connectors are not cheap.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I got it replaced and seems to have fixed my cold start idle issue.

Easy job! The reason I thought it would be hard to replace was because someone did a sloppy job replacing the intake at some point. It had the PCV tube and a big harness ran very messy. After cleaning up those up by removing the alternator bracket; I could easily access the bottom screw on the IAC.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts