TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title says it all. I have tools, a floor jack, and jackstands, but not sure how im going to get my hands to that tight space. I'm guessing I'll need to remove the headers, but correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Super Moderator
5,115 Posts
The factory exhaust manifolds, or after market headers?

If the former, you CAN work them out and in.

If the latter ... who knows? But I bet yes, you'll have to pull the headers.

RwP

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
I have done this before without removing the exhaust. It's been some years now... but if I recall, I put a floor jack with a 2x4 spanning the oil pan. Lift the jack until it just gets the weight. Pull the long bolts that hold the mounts to the k-member, as well as the bolts to the block. Lift the jack up as high as possible. You will need to watch the back of the intake to cowl panel, and the trans to tunnel clearances to not break anything. After that, it's just figuring out a way to get them out of the hole. It can be done.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I have done this before without removing the exhaust. It's been some years now... but if I recall, I put a floor jack with a 2x4 spanning the oil pan. Lift the jack until it just gets the weight. Pull the long bolts that hold the mounts to the k-member, as well as the bolts to the block. Lift the jack up as high as possible. You will need to watch the back of the intake to cowl panel, and the trans to tunnel clearances to not break anything. After that, it's just figuring out a way to get them out of the hole. It can be done.
Thats what I remember doing as well. You had to lift the engine without punching a hole in the oil pan.

-g

·
̇
3,701 Posts
Engine Support Fixture

An "Engine Support Fixture" is another option..IIRC that's what they use in the Service Department at the dealership..

Here's a 3 bar set-up like what's shown in that pic-->>3 Bar Engine Support Fixture

I could think of a lot of uses for one of these.. :diablo:

Rayo..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts