TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have the instructions on replacing the AC condensor?

This weekend project, WAY to HOT now!!!

Thanks

·
5,650 Posts
You can do this with and without removing the radiator, but it is MUCH easier with the radiator removed. If you don't want to remove the radiator, loosen the 2 13mm bolts holding the brackets to the radiator support, and then move the radiator forward and lift it up enough so that the lower tabs can come out of the rubber grommets on the bottom of the radiator support. This is going to be difficult to do with the hoses and tranny cooler lines still attached but it is possible. Then you need a 3/8" and 1/2" quick-disconnect tool to disconnect the lines at the condensor. Once they are disconnected, remove the 2 8mm bolts holding the condensor brackets to the radiator support. Then pull the condensor forward, then up and out. Installation is simply the reverse.

·
Banned
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I changed out the condensor now it seems that the small canister is what is leaking. What is this called? Does anyone have one for sale?

Thanks

·
5,650 Posts
The cylinder looking thing by the firewall? That is the A/C accumulator. The smaller cylinder looking thing right in front of the condensor? That is the A/C muffler and is part of the entire discharge line assembly coming off of the compressor. In either case, they are available new and that is the route I would take. There are risks with buying those parts used that may damage the rest of your system.

·
Banned
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
What other name could the AC Muffler be called? I cannot find it in the autoparts list for Advanced Auto Parts?

I would buy used if it was flushed out good.

·
Super Moderator
9,254 Posts
You can also use a line from a donor car with working a/c if you can't find one new. I had to find a donor for my '97 when I replaced my compressor etc. since you can't find that style new and I haven't run into any problems yet with over 20 hours of A/C use.

The only other thing I would think to call it... pressure line from compressor to condenser, or even manifold line. :confused:

·
Banned
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does anyone have a diagram of the thunderbird AC system?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,254 Posts
Here's a shot of the page diagramming the system out of the factory service manual.

·
5,650 Posts
The part is readily available. Like I said, it's called the discharge line assembly.

SPECTRA PREMIUM Part # 1955303 {Hose Assembly}
Discharge Line
$79.99

FOUR SEASONS Part # 55303
Discharge Line
$93.79

ACDELCO Part # 1533903 {#19191420}
HOSE,A/C CMPR DISCHARGE LINE
$120.89

1 - 9 of 9 Posts