TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have 2 12 inch mtx thunder 6000 subs both are 4 ohm. I want to add another sub but what ohm should i buy to get a 4 ohm mono load to my amp. Any input will be great thanks.

·
drag-aholic
1,056 Posts
you really can't get to a 4ohm load with (3) 4ohm woofers. you should not mix the impedance of the speakers. the higher ohm woofers will not play with the same power as the 4ohm woofers when wired together. you really need to run something like a w6 if you want to run 3 woofers or you can run (3) 8ohm woofers for a 2.66 ohm load. also depends on how stable your amp is below 4ohms. as is you stuck with either 2 or 8 ohm mono with your 2 woofers you have.

·
drag-aholic
1,056 Posts
thats true. that is the total load of 4 ohms but the 8 ohm speaker will take less of the total power as compaired to the 4 ohm speakers and will play quiter. try popping a 4 ohm speaker and then an 8 ohm speaker with a drill battery and observe the difference in the cone movement. it should be noticable.

i could be wrong, but this is what i remeber from trying the same thing.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
if you "pop" them with a drill battery the movement should be the same, as all the power is going to the sub, to test this fully, wire both subs in parralell, then pop them with a drill battery, and the 4ohm sub will move more, due to less resistance to the current.

(is this the way you meant to phrase it Bagged89? ) if it is, I guess I'm just repeating you :p

·
Gauge master
884 Posts
This is the reason why JL Audio came out with the W6 series of subwoofers. Each driver has two 6 ohm voice coils. In order to achieve an impedance of 4 ohms with threee drivers, one would wire it like so: Wire the two voice coils of each driver in series. This will result in an impedance of 12 ohms per driver. Then take these three 12 ohm loads and wire all of them in parallel. This will result in 4 ohms.

The term driver that I use describes the actual speaker, you know, made up of just the frame, cone, surround, voice coil, magnet and spider.

A set of three 10W6's would usually fit nicely behind the rear seat of most cars.

·
drag-aholic
1,056 Posts
Joel, yes, we agree that they will move diferently when wire together...but i invite you to try them indivdually also. i ran my 15w6 at 12ohm off of a drill battery indivdually, then wired the same one woofer to 3ohm indivdually and there was a more cone movement. constant voltage, less resistance so there was more DC current into the woofer = more movement. you agree?

what this "Scrape-aholic" business :p :p :p :p :p I want "Drag-aholic";)

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I agree, sounds logical that more resistance = less current flow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts