TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Per my FORD book

1. Push inner edge of outside rear-view mirror glass into outside rear-view mirror .

2. Grip outer edge of mirror and it snaps out .

·
Super Moderator
12,021 Posts
Wear gloves so you don't cut yourself if it breaks when trying to "snap it out."

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ohhh no no, I was trying to take the black plastic thing and glass out of it because I am doing a color change. I broke my originals when trying to dis assemble them.

So I bought another and FYI to get the whole thing dis assembled there are torx bit screws on the under side (T20) and the 3 bolts that mount the mirror to the door actually unthread out of the mirror, I sprayed them with PB blaster and then put some vice grips on the very tip careful to not mess up the threads, and then just wiggled the glass out.. Found a few little dead critters in there too!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just for sake of knowledge if someone searches for this.... If you are taking apart a side mirror I believe mirrors with 1 torx bit screw is more favorable because they have plastic inside, the side mirrors with 2 torx bits underneath have metal inside which is harder to take apart because of corrosion.

·
̇
3,701 Posts
Side Mirror Repair

Just for sake of knowledge if someone searches for this.... If you are taking apart a side mirror I believe mirrors with 1 torx bit screw is more favorable because they have plastic inside, the side mirrors with 2 torx bits underneath have metal inside which is harder to take apart because of corrosion.

Thanks for the tip!

I've never had any luck taking apart the side mirrors with the 2 torx bits..

The head on the torx screws always rounds off..

Are the side mirrors with 1 torx screw on the 96-97 Cougar/Thunderbirds?

:zdunno:

I know all the earlier ones I've seen used 2 torx screws on the bottom..

Rayo..

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
idk to be honest, i just bought one off of a guy on here and 2 weeks ago and it just so happened it only had one torx bit... i have a 93 so has to atleast be a 94..

PB blaster worked on the 2 torx bits but on those 3 other bolts PB wasnt enough

1 - 9 of 9 Posts