TCCoA Forums banner

How to tell if a 97 has veriable assist or not

941 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  tbirdguy 
#1 ·
My 97 v6 just blew out its 3rd steering rack. I'm getting really tired of dealing with it. I'm ready to replace every component in the system to get it to work again but how the heck do you tell the variable assist from the non. I've seen both pumps they are identical with different part numbers. I've seen both hoses they are also identical with different part numbers. I want to get this right, I'm hoping this will be the last time I have to take the mercon bath and burn my hand to replace this garbage.

This is a 97 v6 non sport. Idk how to tell whether it is or isn't variable assist, so someone please educate me on where to begin looking.

Thanks,
Chris_Murder

#2 ·
p.s. the sooner someone tells me where to look or how to find out the sooner I can order parts to fix this.....again....

#3 ·
I believe (may be wrong) is that with variable assist will have an extra thingy that goes into the side of the pump before the pressure hose. It should have a connector that runs to some wiring.
I may be wrong, but my 90 had variable assist and my 91 does not, and that was the only difference I could see.

#5 ·
I believe the assist pump has a 2-wire harness coming out of it. The wire to the oil pressure sender is in the same loom (on my 95 anyway).

Are you using Motorcraft racks? I would rather put a junkyard stock rack that I know works rather than a reman.

#6 ·
I'm in the same boat , I need to fix my steering leak from the rack elbow .

I keep thinking of selling my car instead .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.