TCCoA Forums banner

How to tell what gear I have...

809 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Robinson 
#1 ·
I have a 93 5.0 LX and have been trying to find a code or something on my car to see what gear the rearend is. I can see the tag at the top of the rearend, but I can't read it. I need to know so I can decide whether to go with a 3.55 or a 3.73 gear. Thanks!

#3 ·
#4 ·
got it now...THANKS!

Z code=3.08 gear...ok, now I need ya'lls (yes im a southerner) suggestions on what gear to go with...3.55 or 3.73 and yes i do some highway travelling....

#5 ·
Yep - there should be a tag, but if there isn't - here's another fail safe way to tell.

Jack up the back end, and have someone spin the tires around ONE revolution. Count the number of turns the driveshaft does, and be meticulous as to how much it turns on it's 4th turn. If 1/4 turn, it's 3.27's. If just over 3, you have 3.08's. You get the picture :).

Kevin.

#6 ·

I'd go with the 3.73's.

I have 3.55 in my Bird; it came like that. I don't know how much "truth" there is to it's origin, I bought the car off the dealer's lot, he got it from a dealer-dealer swap. I was told that this car had the "Canada Option" with a tow package. That meant a block heater (I can confim that), larger alt (don't know), larger capacity radiator (I don't hink so...holds 16qt), and a 3.55 trak-lok rear (I can confirm that too). Originally the speedo was in Km/hr, but the dealer swapped in a MPH major unit guage for me.

Anyway, I've had the pleasure to be in cars with 3.27 and 3.73 as well. Although 3.55 does bring you up to power band earlier, the 3.73 will do better. I don't beleive that you'll lose that much mpg. For example, one buddy has the 3.23, turns 2K @70mph; I turn about 2300, and the other dude with 3.73 is close to 2500. How this translates to mpg is more a factor of your lead foot, rather than the gears per se. I drive at least 45mi a day on open roads/hi-way 70-75mph the norm, and get 22mpg.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.