TCCoA Forums banner

How will the turboed thunderbird sc run?

• Mid to low 14's

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • 13 second car

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • 12 second car

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • 11 second car

Votes: 5 20.8%

How well will my car run with a turbo?

2K views 27 replies 11 participants last post by  mannysc 
#1 ·
There was a poll on the SCCOA's polls forum about my upcoming turbocharged supercoupe. People over there seem to have various opinions, but I am also interested in what you guys think.

The car will have the following upgrades:
Turbo (or turbos)
Blow off valve
Possible Alcohol Injection
Custom front mount intercooler
N/A intake
Upgraded injectors, fuel rails
255lph fuel pump
Custom radiator
Custom Exhaust
Custom turbo headers
Chip or standalone computer
Art Carr Extreme AOD w/2500 stall
slicks

#4 ·
How are we to make a guess? You didn't put how much boost you were planning on running? Nothing about if it is going to be stock bottom end or not? The car should run low 12's with decent boost(350rwhp or so). If you put a nice bottom end under it and turn up the boost then I think you will really see what it is capable of. I wonder what kind of effect the intake is going to have on the car? If I was to take a guess I would say that you are going to have a huge amount of midrange torque.

#5 ·
96bird said:
How are we to make a guess? You didn't put how much boost you were planning on running? Nothing about if it is going to be stock bottom end or not? The car should run low 12's with decent boost(350rwhp or so). If you put a nice bottom end under it and turn up the boost then I think you will really see what it is capable of. I wonder what kind of effect the intake is going to have on the car? If I was to take a guess I would say that you are going to have a huge amount of midrange torque.
I am hoping for around 13-18psi, because the stock Supercoupe can handle boost in that ballpark. ;)

#6 ·
Heres my response...

FAST....

..VERY fast.

#8 ·
Well heres the thing, boost doesn't matter. Boost is the amount of backpressure that is present in your intake. Thus if you have high flowing heads and intake vs. stock heads and intake it will show up as more boost eventhough your wastegate is set for the same amount. Also 13 lbs of boost from a T-3 turbo will not be the same power as 13 lbs from say a PT-44. The bigger turbo should make more power at lower boost, because it will move more air. The real determining factor will be in turbo size and strength of your bottom end. Do you have any idea of what size turbo will be used? If the right turbo is used and the bottom end is strong you could make as much power as you want. I like the idea, it should run much better than with the blower.

#9 ·
scottrob said:
Well heres the thing, boost doesn't matter. Boost is the amount of backpressure that is present in your intake. Thus if you have high flowing heads and intake vs. stock heads and intake it will show up as more boost eventhough your wastegate is set for the same amount. Also 13 lbs of boost from a T-3 turbo will not be the same power as 13 lbs from say a PT-44. The bigger turbo should make more power at lower boost, because it will move more air. The real determining factor will be in turbo size and strength of your bottom end. Do you have any idea of what size turbo will be used? If the right turbo is used and the bottom end is strong you could make as much power as you want. I like the idea, it should run much better than with the blower.
That really makes sense to me. I will be going with a stock Supercoupe bottom-end at first just to demonstrate to others the potential. I am building a really strong bottom end in my garage, and I will be going with some Coy Miller "R" heads next year. HP Performance has not informed me of what size blower they will be using yet. I understand that they plan to select the right turbo by properly sizing it to the 3.8 SC engine. :cool:

#10 ·
Wow I really think you should have some input on what turbo should be used, considering only you know how much power you want to make. I have seen an SC put 320hp to the wheels with a stock engine, but it did pop a few head gaskets. It had ported heads, blower pulley, and nitrous. The turbo is a far better way to go in my opinion than the blower. Its a really cool idea. Since you are planning a stronger engine in the future I would suggest you pick a turbo that will support the hp you plan on making with that engine. That way you can simply run more boost to increase the power on the new engine. I would suggest a 60-1. They are relatively inexspensive and will support up to 550 hp.

#11 ·
scottrob said:
Wow I really think you should have some input on what turbo should be used, considering only you know how much power you want to make. I have seen an SC put 320hp to the wheels with a stock engine, but it did pop a few head gaskets. It had ported heads, blower pulley, and nitrous. The turbo is a far better way to go in my opinion than the blower. Its a really cool idea. Since you are planning a stronger engine in the future I would suggest you pick a turbo that will support the hp you plan on making with that engine. That way you can simply run more boost to increase the power on the new engine. I would suggest a 60-1. They are relatively inexspensive and will support up to 550 hp.
Thanks Dude! :cool:

#12 ·
I said 11's, but it's really hard to say and depends a lot on traction... I've seen cars on the track with a lot of power that spun the whole way down the line because they didn't hook up... I guess in that case a bit of turbo lag wouldn't be a bad thing!

#13 ·
Stoltz13 said:
I said 11's, but it's really hard to say and depends a lot on traction... I've seen cars on the track with a lot of power that spun the whole way down the line because they didn't hook up... I guess in that case a bit of turbo lag wouldn't be a bad thing!
That's true, but I plan on a new set of slicks to set things straight. My insurance agent is so cool that he agreed to sponsor half the cost of the tires! :D

#15 · (Edited)
mannysc said:
itll turn 13s quit dreaming Frank! lol polls dont make a car fast lets wait and see.
LOL Manny! So I guess since you predict 13's means i'm dreaming. I'm glad to know that you seem to know something that the rest of us don't about Turbo's. :rolleyes:

OK! Since you started a poll over on SCCOA and half agree that the car will run 13's or slower YOU WIN! :D

I am really confused if have offended anyone about this situation because reality is that I am only trying to mod this car in an effort to reach my goals. If I have offended anybody by asking HP Performance for a 12 second car, I apologize if they deliver me one as promised.

So, SORRY (in advance). :cool:

P.S.- Funny how this poll looks a hell of a lot different than the one over at SCCOA. :rolleyes:

#16 ·
yeah different people turbo dudes know turbos and blower guys think limited.

I hope it turns 12s I figure if we down play it they at hp will make sure it does better than we ever expected , shoot it has to or they look lame.

they have future costumers at stake so it better make a m90 look like a childs toy. and really make it look bad or its a waste of time and money.

#18 ·
91 said:
HEHE. You are right Manny. I agree, but we are not just after the M90. We want to make the other blowers look silly too. ;)
And with any reasonable effort you will... there's no reason a turbo car cannot out perform a SC and be more efficient while doing it!

#19 ·
Stoltz13 said:
And with any reasonable effort you will... there's no reason a turbo car cannot out perform a SC and be more efficient while doing it!
You are right about that Stoltz13. Turbo is definately the way to go, and I am really glad to be a part of something like this. Kudos to you others with turbo cars that are resoursful enough to live outside the box. :cool:

Don't get me wrong, you have others like XR7Dave who is making bold positive moves away from the M90 and I have nothing but respect for him. But what gets my goat is when you try something new and someone comes out the woodwork and tells you why it won't work. So much negativity. I don't want to know about what does not work. I am concerned with what CAN and will work. Now with that being said, it's not like we are trying to reinvent the wheel around here. LOL, ricers, buick guys, and pontiac guys have already proven this recipe over and over again! :D

#20 ·
91 said:
You are right about that Stoltz13. Turbo is definately the way to go, and I am really glad to be a part of something like this. Kudos to you others with turbo cars that are resoursful enough to live outside the box. :cool:

Don't get me wrong, you have others like XR7Dave who is making bold positive moves away from the M90 and I have nothing but respect for him. But what gets my goat is when you try something new and someone comes out the woodwork and tells you why it won't work. So much negativity. I don't want to know about what does not work. I am concerned with what CAN and will work. Now with that being said, it's not like we are trying to reinvent the wheel around here. LOL, ricers, buick guys, and pontiac guys have already proven this recipe over and over again! :D
Exactly... people are just scared of anything different... so don't let it bother you!

#25 ·
im totally scared of anything thats not stock id never try something off the wall. you got guts and muncho potential with the turbo setup. I just like riding Franks back its all in fun Im wATCHING HIS EFFORTS cant wait to see how it turns out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.