TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys, im really serious about buying the Superchips Custom Tuner 9100, aka SCT 9100. This uses the same files, as the SCT chip, but just reflashs the PCM instead of chipping it. Troyer peformance has it for 425, i can get it other places, but im going with troyer performance (They r an f150online Vendor). Also u can buy the $75 software and cable, so u can reflash the tuner if u add other mods and need a special tune for it (02 maf, PI Intake, cams, etc.), Via email. When u order it online, u can list what mods u have, what year ur car is, what the EEC catch code is, my is LJC1. Any special suggestions, etc. Anyway, How much of a difference does using the tuner and 02 MAF make for hp? Costs for the 02 maf assembly (Airbox and intake tube)?

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
I think Mike (96 GB) actually lost a few peak HP on his SCT tune, but that doesn't mean a whole lot. The area under the curve tells the whole story, and with SCT this aspect is much improved.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i wonder why there isnt many threads about this tuner on the forums (if any at all), because it does the same thing as a SCT chip, apten, etc....,and it is much easier to use then, removing the PCM and installing a chip.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
does anyone know the cost of the whole intake assembly including the MAF for an 02 GT?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
wilson502,

The hand held tuner is a product of SCT. So any of us SCT dealers can give you info on it or you can go to www.modulardepot.com and read it all there. It can have any type of SCT file flashed into it. It has the capability of holding 3 different files or programs in addition to your stock file. So you can have a file for regular fuel, premium fuel and what every else you want. It only works with one vehicle since it VIN locks when you first plug it into your OBD II port. Then it sucks out your stock file or what file is in the EEC at that time and saves it. Then you have the option of reflashing what ever file you had the dealer install or back to the stock file. The thing to remember is you need to either pull the fuses for the fan and fuel pump when you reflash or have your car on a charger. If the voltage falls below 12 you will lose your flash and also the file and end up with a dead car. This is covered in the instructions.

The good thing about them is you have a choice of what file to run and you don't have to pull down the EEC. If you get your vehicle dyno tuned you can have that file flashed into it also. It pulls codes also, so getting a check engine light is easily read and cleared. Oh and you can't change files on the fly like you can with the switch chip.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
o, i thought he meant the laptop program, he means the handheld tuner thing, my eec is siting on ym floor of my car and i have a chip rightnow, but will be buying a new one, does anything think the handheld tuner is a better idea vs a plug in the back of the EEC chip, im gonna need a new TC in less then 2 months so ill have one

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well, if i get an 02 MAF, all 3 programs will need the transfer function built into it. Should there be any issues with an 02 maf in place for smog?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I don't think you understood what I said. They have the capability of having 3 files in them. You don't get 3 different files without paying for each one. That would be like getting 3 chips for the price of one. So shop around for the best deal.

Also this isn't the new one due out soon that you can change parameters in the files. You either send it back to a dealer to have the changes made or you buy the cable and software to receive the changes via email.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hmm, im looking at troyer performance and it says this on the website when u order.. "Customers ordering this product will have a phone consultation with us to go over how we will set up your Micro Tuner with your choice of 3 different custom programs. Those 3 programs will be made according to your individual needs, local fuel quality, types of vehicle usage, any other modifications done to the vehicle, etc." You pick what 3 tunes u want. I dont think smog would be an issue, i HIGHLY doubt they would see the difference between an 02 MAF and intake tube compared to a stocker. it would just look stock to them.

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
so they are including 3 programs into the package

MD.com offers 1, and if the other two are minor changes, they normally won't charge extra, like a 87 and a 91 octane tune.. or it will be minimal

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
its the same price as modular depot, they r charging 425 @ troyer performance (F150 Online Vendor), and oldest superchips vendor as well. Im thinkin of gettin the software and cable as well, and a few months down the road, get a 02 MAF, airbox and inlet tube, and email troyer performance or Modular depot, and tell them i added this mod to my car, etc. And they will email me the correct file for the 02 MAF.

·
6,253 Posts
just make sure they have the software to write a Tbird tune.... not all vendors purchased that additional bit...

most are either just mustang or F-series.. or stang and f-series, etc.

i think there are packages for the stang... trucks.. diesel update,.. and then OTHER cars.. like us, focuses, taurus, etc

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i talked to mike troyer, actually i posted on the f150 online forums, he says they have the files for the tbird, he told me they usually shave off about .5-.7 seconds off the 1/4 for 96-97 tbirds with 4.6s. I can link u the post of what he said if u like.

·
6,253 Posts
just making sure..

i tried ordering one local from a guy, turns out.. he only did f150s and mustangs :D

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
i even called them last week, and talked to them, i told what car i had, what mods i had, they didnt say like "oh we dont have files for tbirds sorry." they have files for ALL 96-04 Ford Cars and Trucks Excluding 2000-04 Lincoln LS, and 04 F150 which use that Black Oak PCM which cant be chipped.

·
6,253 Posts
local california place??

only asking cuz here in FL.. there really are only 2 people who do birdies.. L and DR.. everyone else is mostly stangs and trucks..

·
Sweet T
3,452 Posts
Hey Lonnie,

Do you know if anyone has come up with a way to fix the internal rom error that gets thrown with a chip? Does the EEC flasher nullify this problem or is that code still there? I don't want to give the smog nazi's out here any extra reason to fail my car. I emailed the guys at MD to ask, but as usual, they never responded.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Troyer performance is in virigina. Any supposedly these can erase, and read OBD-II codes like most other hand held tuners can. This SCT one suits my needs IMO, much easier to install as well, should i get some 22C plugs and 180 T-stat? Is it easy to install?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts