TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the skinny....

I found an engine buildup for a 460 that is almost identical to the 460 in my boat!! :znanner:

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/116_0008_87_octane_ford_460/

Their engine:
460 (std bore)
8.82:1 c.r.
D0VE Heads (stock valves (2.08/1.65) no porting)
Adjustable Valve train w/ roller rockers
Cam: .545/.545 220/228 @ .050
Performer RPM intake (large dual plane)
Headers (2" primary @ 31" and 3.5" 10" collector)
87 Octane
433.1 HP @ 5200 rpm
491.0 TQ @ 3400 rpm

My engine:
466 (.030 bore)
9.32:1 c.r.
D0VE Heads (351C4V valves (2.19/1.71) pocket and mild runner porting)
Adjustable Valve train w/ roller rockers
Cam: .554/.574 226/234 @ .050
Offenhauser Dual Port (pseudo single plane)
Aluminum Exhaust riser (3" collector, marine muffler)
93 Octane
??? HP
??? TQ

The major "positive" differences in my engine are increased cu in, increased cr, improved cylinder head flow (probably), and larger cam.

The major "negative" differences are my intake (I don't know how the dual port will compare to a Performer RPM), and restrictive exhaust.

The question I have is just how much of a difference does the larger cam/valves have as compared to a much better flowing exhaust that they have?!?!?

Any engine builders here that have dyno'd BBF's have any ideas or thoughts? :thumbsup:

p.s. I've been working on trying to get this boat back together, so my car "projects" are on hold (and why I haven't been posting here very often recently). But fear not, I have some "goodies" for the LSC that I just need to get bolted on. :thumbsup:

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
off subject, but 94 daily, do you know of any header manufacturers, that sell or make headers(long tubes) for a 73 t-bird with a 460? Or do you think a truck 460 header might work?

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It doesn't look like any of the usual companies carry any. I'm sure Kooks could make you some, but obviously not cheap!!

As for truck headers, I would say probably not. I'm guessing the BBF ford sits lower in the frame in a T'Bird than in the frame of a truck. But that is just a guess.

I can't find headers for my 460 in my truck either, so I know how you feel. :bawling:

·
Super Moderator
7,476 Posts
I'll guess [email protected], and [email protected] I really have no knowledge of 460s, just basing those numbers on the ones from their motor. Your motor is going to lose low end torque from theirs because of the lack of headers, the bigger valves, larger cam, and single plane intake, but then you'll gain more power higher up from them. Also the 93 octane and higher compression will help you across the board.

Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts