TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on a hub swap and brake upgrade for the '93 Mark VIII I take to the track. I have already made up my mind on what street wheels to get, but now the conundrum... what drag wheels can I use? :confused:

I used to run 16" Lincoln wheels on the back with drag radials or Hoosier Quick Time Pro's (26x9.5x16) along with aluminum Mark VIII spares in the front with a pair of vintage Dunlop race tires (5.50x16).

I want light-weight wheels without breaking the bank, 15's preferably because of the wide choice of tires to choose from. I hope to use the Cobra rotors in the rear with stock calipers, and I have the big brake package ready for the front. So obviously, the brake caliper clearance will be a big factor beside the usual offset/backspace issues.

Any insight or info on proven setups would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Up until you said big brakes I was going to suggest the greg weld wheels. Summit has them all on sale for $99 each. Greg weld went out of buisness a few weeks ago and the wheels are on clearence. I'm unsure on the fit with big brakes something you would need to look into.

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,266 Posts
Weld drag lites will not fit over stock brakes. 15X4 or 15X3.
Unless you grind the crap out of the caliper.
Still you would need 3" studs.
Without grinding the caliper you need a 1/2" sapcer and the wheels will stick out of the fender and look like crap. Thats just the front. I gave up on the rear.
But I saw a guy with a 95 mustang gt, he had Weld Pro Stars on it with stock brakes and no fitment issues.
The reason I brought that up was I have a 95 GT and the drag lites fit the same way as they did on my 95 cougar with a hub swap. Rubbing on the caliper.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
my weld prostars rubed on the caliper, some grinding and they dont rub anymore. mine are 3 1/2 front and 8 in back. they all need spacers and they all need shanked lugnuts and long studs. i have arp studs

1 - 8 of 8 Posts