TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 18" wheels that are on my green 1997 Thunderbird had no hubcentric rings installed when I got the car. I just replaced the tires, and I got some hubcentric rings for the wheels.
I have read here that the thunderbird hubs are 63.9mm.
The tire store sold me a set of alloy hub rings that are 73mm x 63.36mm, and stated to me that they are sure that they fit on the 1997 thunderbird.

Are these actually going to fit on my hubs?

Thanks.

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
technically.. the rings need to be matched to the wheels.. i have a different set on one brand than i do on another

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rings are the correct size for the wheels, I am just concerned with whether or not they are going to fit on the hubs.

·
Registered
987 Posts
lol....The rings need to measure 63.90mm. A little bigger is OK but smaller?? Deff not gonna work. 63.36 aint gonna work.

I think I might have a set of rings that will work for ya. Aluminum is not the way to go either. The polycarbon rings are the way to go. No corrosion or fretting.

Brad

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
lol....The rings need to measure 63.90mm. A little bigger is OK but smaller?? Deff not gonna work. 63.36 aint gonna work.
63.36 definitely works.

I measured my hubs with a digital caliper and they measured right at 2-1/2" or 63.5mm. I found sources listing the MN12/FN10 hub diameter at 63.4mm.

I ordered a set of 71.12 OD x 63.36 ID plastic hub rings from 1010tires.com . They confirmed the fitment prior to shipping and they fit my wheels and hubs perfectly.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Every time I woke up last night, I was trying to visualize how I could possibly fit a 63.36mm ring over a 63.90mm hub. It seemed to me to be an impossibility. This morning I pulled the wheels off the blue 97, and found out that the rings fit on the hub quite easily, no need to force them, they slide on like they were made specifically for the hub.
Now, I am not sure if the hubs are a smaller diameter on the 1997 than on other years, but they are definitely not 63.90mm, 63.36 hubcentric rings definitely fit on both the front and rear.
FRONT:

REAR:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Brad
But the wheel guy who is a site sponsor says that there is no way the 63.36 rings are going to fit.
This is simply incorrect information.
Do all of the custom wheels come with a hub bore of 63.90mm?

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
folks step back and think about this

63.9- 63.36 = .54mm

.54mm x .03937 = .021" inches

not exactly a deal breaker
In machining, twenty thousandths of an inch is a lot.

A typical bearing fit is on the order of 0.001" per inch of diameter. So on the hub, that would be 0.0025" - two and one-half thousandths of an inch.

A typical "slip fit" is no more than 0.010".

A 0.020"+ fit would definitely be 'sloppy'.

The entire premise of a hub ring is to make the wheel hubcentric. If it is not, wheel runout becomes an issue. Runout limits for a hub and rotor are 0.003". A hub fit of +0.020" would result in over 3 times the runout limit for the wheel.

·
Registered
987 Posts
But the wheel guy who is a site sponsor says that there is no way the 63.36 rings are going to fit.
Dude...Your rings fit. Great news

I really didnt think they would fit...My calipar came up with 63.90mm and that was many years ago as I have not had any reason to measure again and again. Regardless our rings fit fine with some slip. I didnt and dont mind the slip beacause I think it prevents fretting and corrosion. The ring is only an alignment tool to center the wheel on the hub for a good centered torque on the lugs.

So I stand corrected?? Does that make anyone feel better??

1 - 16 of 16 Posts