TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do y’all think is the best route to go for swapping stang hubs on my 97 Tbird? This is something I’ve been debating for a while and I want to know if swapping the front hubs and drilling in the rear is the best way. Also what do y’all think of my unique take on the bird?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Best way is to swap hubs, redrilling is fine but the wheels will need a pair of hubcentric rings since the hub bore is still narrower than the Mustang hub bore. Factory cobra hubs are pricey but full tilt boogie racing sells billet ones now for half the cost
Thank you brother I appreciate that a lot 🙏🏽 I think I know what I’m gonna do now.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
What do y’all think is the best route to go for swapping stang hubs on my 97 Tbird? This is something I’ve been debating for a while and I want to know if swapping the front hubs and drilling in the rear is the best way. Also what do y’all think of my unique take on the bird?

View attachment 43828
Whereabouts California are you located?

How much did your custom plates run you? Is it a one time flat fee +whatever annual "custom" fee on top of the regular annual renewal fees? Asking because I'm highly interested in getting a set for my bird.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whereabouts California are you located?

How much did your custom plates run you? Is it a one time flat fee +whatever annual "custom" fee on top of the regular annual renewal fees? Asking because I'm highly interested in getting a set for my bird.
I’m from Roseville/ Rocklin. The plates ran me about 50 bucks and they took FOREVER to get here but damn they’re worth it. So good looking. The annual renewal is either the normal 25 or it’s 50 every year but 🤷🏽‍♂️

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Best way is to swap hubs, redrilling is fine but the wheels will need a pair of hubcentric rings since the hub bore is still narrower than the Mustang hub bore. Factory cobra hubs are pricey but full tilt boogie racing sells billet ones now for half the cost
Actually I gotta ask, should I use 94-98 Cobra hubs or 99-04? And what brakes do you recommend running on my new setup?

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
19,705 Posts
Actually I gotta ask, should I use 94-98 Cobra hubs or 99-04? And what brakes do you recommend running on my new setup?
99-04. 94-98 Cobras used a solid rear axle so they’re incompatible. Front hubs are the same across the board, just make sure you get them with ABS reluctor rings if your bird has ABS.

Brake wise, Cobras with relocation brackets for the stock Tbird calipers on the rear. Up front you can actually use the SN95 V6/GT 10.5” rotors and retain your stock calipers(or PBRs) but the only bolt on option out back in the 5x114.3 pattern that aren’t a downgrade are the 11.65” cobras. Wouldn’t effect brake balance or anything but it might look weird with larger rear rotors than fronts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
99-04. 94-98 Cobras used a solid rear axle so they’re incompatible. Front hubs are the same across the board, just make sure you get them with ABS reluctor rings if your bird has ABS.

Brake wise, Cobras with relocation brackets for the stock Tbird calipers on the rear. Up front you can actually use the SN95 V6/GT 10.5” rotors and retain your stock calipers(or PBRs) but the only bolt on option out back in the 5x114.3 pattern that aren’t a downgrade are the 11.65” cobras. Wouldn’t effect brake balance or anything but it might look weird with larger rear rotors than fronts.
You’re actually the best thank you man. I’ll just ask you if I need to know anything else. 🙏🏽

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
I’m from Roseville/ Rocklin. The plates ran me about 50 bucks and they took FOREVER to get here but damn they’re worth it. So good looking. The annual renewal is either the normal 25 or it’s 50 every year but 🤷🏽‍♂️
Ahh, you're up north.

Thanks for the 411 on the plates! I know exactly what I want to do for plates on mine. But I need to wait a little bit longer....

·
Registered
272 Posts

View attachment 43828
Here is a picture of the FTBR hubs. They come with studs pressed in.

Don't forget that you should be replacing wheel bearings, and you will need new retaining nuts. Also, the studs are larger so you will need new lug nuts.
Here they are installed,:

I got lucky; the gentleman who rebuilt my differential is a 25 year Lincoln dealer mechanic. He was kind enough to take my knuckles to the dealership and press everything together for me.
Your rear rotors will not have the same center bore, they will have to be replaced with sn95 or better.

RD

·
Administrator
13,979 Posts
Good Lookin' Car! I like what you've done with it.

How's the interior? Would be great to see what you've done with it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
View attachment 43926

Don't forget that you should be replacing wheel bearings, and you will need new retaining nuts. Also, the studs are larger so you will need new lug nuts.

View attachment 43927

I got lucky; the gentleman who rebuilt my differential is a 25 year Lincoln dealer mechanic. He was kind enough to take my knuckles to the dealership and press everything together for me.
Your rear rotors will not have the same center bore, they will have to be replaced with sn95 or better.

RD
Thank you my friend I’m definitely going to be getting those as soon as possible.The pictures help too I’m super visual. Appreciate it 🤞🏽

·
Registered
44 Posts
View attachment 43926

View attachment 43927

RD
Wonder if these hubs would work with rear drum brakes I have on my 92 Sport.

·
Super Moderator
5,716 Posts
Wonder if these hubs would work with rear drum brakes I have on my 92 Sport.
Only if you redrilled to the Mustang pattern. Not with factory drums fresh out of the shipping box.

RwP

1 - 14 of 14 Posts