TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
8,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This storm looks like it means business and the track is heading for the Carolina coast. Landfall expected late Thursday or Thursday night and it's just going to sit there dumping huge amounts of rain.

Be safe folks! :thumbsup:

Joe

·
Super Moderator
10,667 Posts
Man, There are three major sized storms in the Atlantic; it looks like we may make up for some of the milder seasons we've seen lately.

:)

·
Super Moderator
12,086 Posts
Man, There are three major sized storms in the Atlantic; it looks like we may make up for some of the milder seasons we've seen lately.

:)
No big surprise here. It'll be quiet for a year or two and then Wham! The Carolinas and Florida will get hammered.

I"m high and dry and there are no big trees in our community (Thanks to developer clear cutting when the place was built). But anyway, yea, keep your heads down on the coast and pick your slippers up off of the floor so they don't get wet. This is definitely one storm to watch.

Last I saw it was heading for a Wilmington, NC landfall. I'm just hoping it's not another Floyd (SEPT 1999) or Hugo. (SEPT 1989) - Those were the worst hurricanes to hit the Carolinas in modern memory.

Here's the top 5 list with a good description of each if anyone's interested: https://www.wral.com/weather/hurricanes/story/3311088/

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Don't forget about Fran in 1996. That was the worst one we have had in Raleigh in the 32 years I've lived here.

Al

·
Super Moderator
10,667 Posts
Look at the global map; there are three large hurricane-type storms in the Atlantic, and Four in the Pacific right now.

I don't think I've ever seen that before.

:surprise:

·
Registered
408 Posts
Hopefully it won't be your version of Harvey. Most of those down here who didn't cut their losses and move are still rebuilding.

Good luck out east!

·
Super Moderator
12,086 Posts
Oh, it will very much be Harvey two-point-oh. I just heard forecasts of 20" to 30" in some places in VA. The coastal areas of SC, NC and VA are every bit as low as south TX.

I just hope that the evacuation orders are headed. Anyone who blows those evacuation orders off, refuses evacuation assistance or doesn't request assistance if they need it and stays put deserves to die IMHO.

I worry about the College Lake dam that was just in the news last month. I highly doubt it's in any better shape now than it was then. Look out Lynchburg, VA!

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/lynchburg-virginia-college-lake-dam-flooding-imminent-failure-breach-va-2018-08-03/

People will die, I have no doubt. The Buffalo Theory at work ....

The Buffalo Theory as told by Cliff Clavin said:
"Well ya see, Norm, it's like this... A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

"In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But naturally it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first.

In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers."

·
Super Moderator
10,667 Posts
Looking at the model tracks, it looks like it will make landfall on the 14th, about dawn.

Tomorrow it will hit the warm water of the Gulf Stream, so it will likely pick up more energy. :(

Looks like Wilmington, +-50 miles north or south, gets the majority of the Bad News.

Be safe, everybody.

EDIT: I like it when I'm wrong, only cat 1.

I apologize in advance for the people dealing with an Any force hurricane.

·
Super Moderator
12,086 Posts
First two fatalities reported. - A woman and infant in Wilmington, NC were killed when a tree fell on their house. The father was injured and taken to a hospital. What part of evacuated did they not understand?

Also, 200+ high water evacuations ... Just stupid. So sad.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts