TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Look out Tesla!

A hybrid F-150 and Mustang have been rumored for a while now, but Ford has officially confirmed the two vehicles are in the pipeline.

Ford confirmed that it plans to release 13 global electric and hybrid vehicles in the next five years including a hybrid F-150 pickup truck, a hybrid Mustang, and a plug-in Transit van. Ford also confirmed that a mystery fully electric small SUV with 300 miles of range is coming by 2020 to be sold in North America, Europe, and Asia, along with two new electrified police cars.

The hybrid Mustang will be only available in North America at first and will debut in 2020. The hybrid F-150 will also be available in 2020 in North America and the Middle East and will be able to be used as a mobile power generator.

Another EV Ford plans on producing in the near future is a high-volume, hybrid autonomous car built for ride sharing or a ride-hailing service that will debut in 2021.

Interestingly, Ford announced that it is canceling plans to build a $1.6-billion plant in Mexico and will instead invest $700-million into upgrading the Flat Rock, Michigan, plant. The plant upgrades will add about 700 jobs and focus on manufacturing electrified and autonomous cars. Ford is making a huge investment into electrified cars and will spend nearly $4.5-billion in the field by 2020.

Ford Confirms Hybrid F-150 and Mustang On the Way » AutoGuide.com News

·
Super Moderator
12,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True. I threw the Tesla line in there as an afterthought.

Honestly, I wish I'd have picked up some more Tesla stock when it was down around 180. Because Daym it's been on a helluva run. This whole market is just unbelievable. I keep waiting for the party to end and the bubble to pop but it just keeps going higher.

I do believe that the clock is still ticking on this market time bomb. It's not a matter of if but when the party ends.

Anyway. Yea, CAFE is the reason. It'll be interesting to see how these vehicles turn out.

·
Super Moderator
7,528 Posts
The F150 will probably sell, just for people looking to use it as a generator, but much like the hybrid chevy trucks from a few years back, the gas mileage impact will likely be minimal. As for a hybrid Mustang, I think that will be a complete bomb. People buy V8 Mustangs for performance, and V6 Mustangs for the image. Nobody looking for max gas mileage is looking at the Mustang, and none of the typical Mustang buyers would be interested in a hybrid version.

·
Super Moderator
12,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Super Moderator
12,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's funny.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
For me, this would have to be one of those, "look and see" things. The v8 in it might even be that new 4.8L v8 that was posted in an article somewhere on here not too long ago in order to grant extra space needed for the additional components?

Of course, that 4.8L v8 part is just me reaching out on ideas.

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,052 Posts
For me, this would have to be one of those, "look and see" things. The v8 in it might even be that new 4.8L v8 that was posted in an article somewhere on here not too long ago in order to grant extra space needed for the additional components?

Of course, that 4.8L v8 part is just me reaching out on ideas.
I doubt the 4.8 will be any smaller than the 5.0 physically, my bet is it's basically going to be a 5.0 with a 4.6 stroke, with the benefits of DI making up for the displacement loss, which will then bump MPG even more.

I'd doubt the hybrid will even be V8, unless they want to go in the vein of the current hybrid supercars. It seems like there's a glut of high performance versions though, it'll probably be paired with the four cylinder.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Also The ecoboost has been completely redesigned as the only thing it shares with the older ecoboost engine is the displacement. It gets Port and Direct Injection due to the issues with DI and clogged valves and ports. The 2018 F150 is getting a diesel option which has been confirmed. The current ecoboost gas had so many issues including DI.

3.0 V6 powerstroke as released just hours ago. Also says the 5.0 will have direct and port injection.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxnews.com/auto/2017/01/08/ford-f-150-diesel-coming-in-2018.amp.html

1 - 12 of 12 Posts