TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how hard on a 1-10 scale 10 being "DONT DO IT"... im tired of being slow... and like the SC feel... can someone help please...

almost forgot I have an 89 n/a 3.8...

Wendell

·
Registered
76 Posts
It is doable, but it is a lot of work. This isn't just some swap where you pull the car into the garage on Friday after work and roll it out late Sunday night with a new engine. There are a lot of different little parts that you would never consider. On top of the obvious things like: rearend, transmission, springs, radiator, rad fan, intercooler, fuel pump, complete SC engine long block. Other things different are the throttle cables (not sure about the trans TV cable), the A/ system might as well be off a completely different vehicle as I don't think any of the parts will be useful from the n/a to the SC. Alternator is different as well. Driver's side motor mount is slightly different as well. This does not even get into the wiring harness or computer. Basically a whole ton of stuff. For best results, I would suggest getting a wrecked SC and swap parts directly from that vehicle onto yours. Otherwise you will be endlessly searching for hard/difficult to find parts to complete the swap. Not saying it can't be done, but you had better do your homework before you start.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Time is the hardest...

Dude I think if you have the right tools and have a general direction as to what to do, you'll be fine. I guess if you're thinking about doing this you've considered all the stuff Kevin mentioned, like the trans and stuff being different. If I were you I'd get an after market supercharger from a mustang site and slap it on. Would save a lot of time and you wouldn't have to spend as much down time with your car. Or just by an sc...

Anyways. If you do it let me know how hard and total costs, cus I've considered this myself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually... considering the cost of everything... does anyone make a SC'er to fit the N/A motor.... or can i use one from a Super Coupe... if so id much rather build my stock motor and boost it... thanks for your help fellas

Wendell

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
vortec makes one. however, it will work fine under the boost of the vortec, you might want to build up the low end before you put hte sc on so you dont throw a rod or piston through your hood. -greg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Vortec makes a charger for an 89 thunderchicken???/ i was unaware of such... i would deff. build the motor before putting ANY boost on it... rods, pistons, prolly even some heads... can u link me to a place where i can read up on teh vortec kit for my car please... thanks

Wendell

·
Registered
604 Posts
The vortech for our cars is centrefugal(did i spell that right?), not the roots kind like the SC. Therefore, the boost doesn't come on as strong, and it doesn't go more than around 6 psi. Compare that to a SC with 10+ psi stock.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
thats not totally true... with one offered for our cars yes.. a lot of centrugiful(?) superchargers make a little less boost at lower rpms than roots, but can make more that roots at a higher rpm. roots is the best for a constant boost. well. if you are gonna as far into it as getting new heads, switch over 99+ split port intake and heads... itll take some work, but that set up on a built up motor with a centrugiful supercharger can put down some really good numbers. oh, and you should track down the "unmentionable" and get him to tune it. i know he lives in detroit area, and itll prolly be 250 - 300, but it is better than a chip. -greg

edit: the 99+ 3.8 intake will not clear the distributor. there are two things you can do about that, swap over to DIS or get the 4.2 intake, but then you will need a BIG hood. just ask pj about that one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts