TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found an SC for sale, absolutely amazing as far appearance, and mechanical side goes....EXCEPT for the engine. The guy sucked up some water through the intake and hydrolocked the motor.

Now..my question is...what exactly am I looking at replacing. I know there is a chance the motor as a whole is shot, but I'd still like to get it for a procjet car.

If the block is in good condition, where exactly would I find parts to rebuild it?

I'm having trouble finding pistons, rods, camshafts, cranks, etc etc for the 3.8 engine, but then again..I'm probably searching incorrectly.

Links to parts sites would be appreciated.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I know when my dads Taurus hydrolocked, all that needed replaced was just the head gaskets. Didnt have to replace any pistons or rods (which I'm told is actually pretty lucky) As far as I know, you really cant tell until you actually get inside the block to check things out.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
S.c.

Hey 95xr7...............are you talking about Matt's $900.oo car?

We may go take a look at it Saturday.

·
Registered
27 Posts
As was mentioned, it'll be hard to tell whats wrong until you pull the motor apart. IF the body and everything else is in great shape, then I'd scoop the ole girl up, you could be lucky and only need to rebuild what you get, and the worse case I would say is needing a new short block.

Frit

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CougarXR/7 said:
Hey 95xr7...............are you talking about Matt's $900.oo car?

We may go take a look at it Saturday.
Exact car I was talking about. However...I'm am right now, out of a car...so even if I get the money it's like...well ****..no way up there. :p

·
Registered
552 Posts
it will PROBABLY need rods at the very lease but I would do them anyway. If your good at motors then go for it.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
S.c.

You can take the train up here to see/get the car. Rent a truck and take it back home. If not............well........if we do see it and like it.............it's gone.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well...I'm possibly gonna go up Sunday.

I'm kinda hoping you guys don't get the car. I need a project car, while I drive the crap out of my Cougar. I just need something to work on, because no way I can fix up the Cougar while it's my DD and can't be down more than a few hours at a time. lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts