·
Registered
5,408 Posts
yes

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I haven't had the pleasure of tearing into a modular yet. I recently acquired a Mark VIII but she runs great and hasn't needed any maintenance. I have access to a early 4.6 but didn't know if it was good for anything. Now I know it can at least be upgraded.

·
5,650 Posts
I have access to a early 4.6 but didn't know if it was good for anything. Now I know it can at least be upgraded.
You can upgrade everything outside of the engine block, but the early blocks aren't worth their weight either. The later model blocks (96+) are a better foundation to build from.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Use the mark motor it is an aluminum block, much better than the early cast iron 5.0 pattern block. The only reason to use the early block you are talking about is if you want to use a c6 or soemthing along those lines.
Alan

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
All modular 2v, 3v, and 4v cylinder heads can be bolted onto any modular block regardless of model year or block material
Coyote's are modular lol can I swap heads with those?

·
Super Moderator
10,302 Posts

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
All modular 2v, 3v, and 4v cylinder heads can be bolted onto any modular block regardless of model year or block material
True, but there are differences in the tensioners and such. (I learned that when bolting 4V (B heads) onto an iron block). The pins were different on the tensioner arms.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Coyote's are modular lol can I swap heads with those?
really? I expected more from you Chris :tongue:

Just because Coyote's have chain-driven over-head cams, does NOT make them a Modular motor. The block and heads are completely different from any modular stuff Ford has used from 91-present. I would call the Coyote the successor to the modular motor, but not a modular motor itself

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
True, but there are differences in the tensioners and such. (I learned that when bolting 4V (B heads) onto an iron block). The pins were different on the tensioner arms.
never said there wasn't ;)

·
Super Moderator
10,302 Posts
I think originally the "modular" thing came from that they wanted a std 6 and 8 cylinder with similar parts and accessories, and able to use the same head casting for both sides with slightly different bolt-on hardware. Or a few holes here and there. :)

And the same transmissions...

AFAIK, they didn't save much, after the later revisions. :)

·
Super Moderator
16,757 Posts

Just because Coyote's have chain-driven over-head cams, does NOT make them a Modular motor. The block and heads are completely different from any modular stuff Ford has used from 91-present. I would call the Coyote the successor to the modular motor, but not a modular motor itself
Same bore spacing, same head bolt pattern(albeit different sizes) ect. I call it a coyote modular :tongue:

A 70's Capri V6 is a 2.8l OHV, and a 2005-2010 Mustang V6 is a 4.0 SOHC, but that doesn't change the fact that they're both Cologne's.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I've read that "modular" refers to the manufacturing process and has absolutely nothing to do with the physical design of the engine; therefore, the Coyote 5.0 is considered a modular design as well. Ford has a 3.9L modular (from the 2002+ Bird and Lincoln LS) that hardly anyone ever mentions.

Wiki talks about the manufacturing in the first paragraph here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Modular_engine

EDIT: I guess that 3.9 is a Jag motor, so it's not considered a modular after all. Who knows?

·
Registered
5,408 Posts

:tongue: I was just teasing buddy. It's hard to say for sure whether or not they'll keep the modular title for the coyote (time will tell) but I know they aren't interchangeable. I was just giving you a hard time since you said all 2v 3v 4v heads interchange. Internet sarcasm is hard to read sometimes lol.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Same bore spacing, same head bolt pattern(albeit different sizes) ect. I call it a coyote modular :tongue:

A 70's Capri V6 is a 2.8l OHV, and a 2005-2010 Mustang V6 is a 4.0 SOHC, but that doesn't change the fact that they're both Cologne's.
but one HUGE difference, is that the coolant crossover that is "external" on the non-coyote motors, is now INTERNAL on the coyote motors......it runs from one head, down into the block, and up into the other head

I'd say that is enough to differentiate it from being called a "mod motor" like ours are, which are truly interchangeable so long as you correctly route the coolant the way it needs to, from one head to the other

I was just giving you a hard time since you said all 2v 3v 4v heads interchange. Internet sarcasm is hard to read sometimes lol.
actually, I had said all modular 2V/3V/4V heads interchange...... that means non-coyote stuff :tongue:....I mean lets all face it....if someone owns a vehicle with a coyote motor, do you honestly think they are gonna call it a "mod motor"? I now I wouldn't.....At this point in time it doesn't make sense.....maybe 10 yrs from now when our mod motors are scarce are the coyotes are running rampant (pun intended lol) will the coyote be called a "mod motor"

I've read that "modular" refers to the manufacturing process and has absolutely nothing to do with the physical design of the engine
in the absolute sense of the word, you're absolutely right....but just like almost anything in life, there are certain situations where context has to be taken into account.....in the context of the Ford world here-and-now, I strongly feel that "modular" refers to non-coyote stuff

·
Super Moderator
16,757 Posts
Outside of the 2% of real enthusiasts like us, no one calls the engine in the 2011 GT's a coyote. They're rollin in their Five point Oh:tongue: Hell I overheard some fox body guy at a cruise night saying "finally ford brought back pushrods!!!". So calling it Modular based helps dispel that kind of bs

Although one could argue the Coyote is to the Modular as Cleveland is to Windsor, given the shared bore spacing/bolt pattern relation between the engines even though they have a handful of major differences

1 - 20 of 21 Posts