TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was entering the walmart parking lot and i went to take a turn and out of nowhere my car floored it by itself!! it was like the gas pedal was stuck right to the floor first thing i did was hit the brake and not much happend...so i then hit the ebrake and and it came to a stop but not right away the rear tires were still spinning....so i panic and threw it into netural and it kept going! so i did the unthinkable and threw it into park and still nothing happend!! the i finnally realized and came back down to earth and just shut the car off..and it stoped! opend my hood and checkd my throttle and made sure it wasnt stuck it was fine...so i just started the car back up and no problem...and nothing happend to my tranny i wasnt sure if i meesed it up or not becasue i threw it into park I wansnt thinking i just panicd and did it. WTF Happend!!???

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
check the stupid drivers floormat! i have had that issue before

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i dont have a drivers floormat.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
hmm check your throttle cable and throttle body . the spring on the tb could be weak or broken, or the cable might be sticky.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Check you carpet to. My husband had to replace the clutch in his saturn because the carpet was bunched up and he couldn't press the clutch all the way down.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Sounds like you need OPPS, I crapped my pants...............

Yea, check the throttle cable, same thing happend to me , back in my younger days when i had jiffy lube change my oil, somehow they got the cable twisted....why???? why???would they be Fing with the throttle cable??? Anyway it would stick. I just popped mine off, and made sure it had full motion and it has been fine since........i would be that is your problem

Chris

·
Registered
109 Posts
I had a huge problem similar to that... my acceleration was stuck... it would continue to floor it randomly even sometimes from start up . I checked it out and it ended up having to do with my mass acceleration sensor... im not sure exactly wat its called... but it went bad on me and it was nuts.... its like the car came alive... a ghost rider... even if that stops for u.... b sure u check everything out... u could have big problems with an acceration stuck!

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
As the killer car of the 80's. I believe it was an Audi 2000. My parents went through two jags a BMW and a couple hondas before it cam to a stop 9 inches deep into cinder block wall. Dad said he was hitting the brakes for all he was worth. My mom worked for a Law firm. Needless to say, Audi payed out tons of cash out that day...

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Would it be the EEC is screwed, more likely one of it's sensors, maybe the TPS is gone bad and the EEC thinks you're flooring it? But then how would it get air...IAC opening's probably too small for being maxed out? :confused:

Oh yeah, the trans, there is no way you can hurt it by putting it in park while moving, the way the parking mechanism is designed will not allow it to drop into park unless the car is going real slow.

Sorry I can't help you much...

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah i think my throttle cable got stuck or somthing...i havent had any problems yet and ive even tried purposley to get it to do it again in an open parking lot and i cant get it to get stuck soo lets just hope it stays that way. thanks guys

·
Registered
975 Posts
hotbird said:
Oh yeah, the trans, there is no way you can hurt it by putting it in park while moving, the way the parking mechanism is designed will not allow it to drop into park unless the car is going real slow.
I disagree there. I accidentally put mine into park going about 60 (don't ask) and the rear wheels locked up. I realized what I had done and was already pulling it back down by that time, but they definately chirped for that moment.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
I would be willing to be the momentary chirp you got was it going through reverse into park. There is no way that pin is going to lock you wheels going that fast

·
Registered
975 Posts
Well if it locks the wheels when it goes through reverse, then they should already be stopped when it goes to park. I certainly didn't slowly push it upward to park. I had it in 2 and I meant to put it in D, but instinctively I pushed it all the way up real quickly. It was in the reverse position for almost no time. What I'm getting at is if they locked up for me, they should lock up on anyone unless my transmission was just behaving freakishly at that particular moment.

·
Registered
169 Posts
i'd say throwing it into park at 60mph might make it behave a little freakishly!

lol, glad to hear you didn't break anything, that goes for both you guys.

for future refrence, i think the best thing you can do if the throttle sticks open would be to immediatly turn the key off. correct me if i'm wrong. i hope i never have to test that theory.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cougar281 said:
Or drop it in Neutral...
thats the first thing i did...and it kept going!!! or at least it seemd that way..but then i turned it off... weird huh?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Did you feel pressure against your right foot as you pushed on the pedal ? Sometimes a broken motor mount can cause this to happen...

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Bear in mind that if you turn the car off, you will lose power steering and power brakes within seconds. And, you might lock the steering wheel. So just bear that in mind.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts