TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to Lowe's today and got some materials so that I could learn to fiberglass. My friend talked me out of buying extra, so I ended up only spending about $30. And wow, That has got to be the messiest sh*t ever! It feels like I am wearing a suit of armor, because I practically fiberglassed myself. Arms, legs, you name it, I am sticky top to bottom.

But if anyone out there is afraid to try it out because it sounds too complicated... Its not, with a little time and hard work... You can do some great things. I made 2 kick pods for my 5 1/4, tomorrow I am making pods on my pillar for my tweeters, I redid my airbag cover in fiberglass (because I had cut a big hole in it before), and I even got so bored (probably all those fumes) I made a fiberglass ashtray. That is some fun stuff.

Oh and I am thinking about doing a custom spoiler... Any problems I would probably run into that anyone is aware of? Thanks...

·
Registered
871 Posts
lets see some pics of your work :)

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
SaleenTBird said:
Oh and I am thinking about doing a custom spoiler... Any problems I would probably run into that anyone is aware of? Thanks...
Weight. My spoiler is much like the stock one, but it's solid, and weighs alot more. The stock one is either hollow or maybe fiberglassed foam or something.

Mine heavy enough so that when I pop the trunk it only moves up 1/2", and will close itself unless you open it all the way.

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
Yep, let's see some of your work, I've been considering trying my hand at it too

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
SaleenTBird said:
I, I redid my airbag cover in fiberglass (because I had cut a big hole in it before), ..
Have you removed your airbag already?? If you haven't I would suggest going back to a stock cover because if that thing ever deploys you will be lucky if the fiberglass cap doesn't sever your head from your neck. :thumbsd:

I'm not knocking your enginuity but you need to really rethink that one

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The airbag has been out of the car. I had the airbag cover cut to fit a PS2 in there, but I decided I just wanted a dvd player. So I am gonna fix that. I am not that crazy to do the airbag in fiberglass if it still works.

But I will post some pics of my work, but I dont have batteries in my camera. And I am not done. I lost my hardener! It is driving me insane, because I am molding the kick pod to the kick panels and it is taking probably about 10 times as long to dry. I dont have a ride to go get more and it is driving me insane!

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
OK that's much better. I just wanted to make sure before you got hurt

·
The Parts Guy
7,421 Posts
SaleenTBird said:
I lost my hardener! It is driving me insane, because I am molding the kick pod to the kick panels and it is taking probably about 10 times as long to dry. I dont have a ride to go get more and it is driving me insane!
Umm, you should probably start scraping the resin/fiberglass that you put on without hardener back off. It will never harden correctly without the hardener. It's a two part system for a reason.

-Rod

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I covered my gas tank with epoxy resin. Wasn't too much fun, but I think if I had a little more work with it I could do a lot better. Covered a board for my friend's boat. Added about twice as much hardner and it worked considerably better.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ended up getting hardener. I mixed it together and slapped it on top of just the pure resin... It dried up real nice.

I got my camera, and I got a lot of it sanded down already, but I will post pics of some ugly stuff and progress throughout. I will probably have everything done and painted here in about 6 or 7 hours. I will post pics then.

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
well you know can get flexible fiberglass at the autobody supply stores it's like regular body filler except it's fiberglass works wonderfully i used it to fill some inperfections in my hood at school.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Has anyone ever heard the saying it is better to measure 10 times and cut once then to measure once and cut 10 times? Well after looking at my work, you would think that I havent. When molding my pod onto the kick panel, I had just eyeballed it. Well it turned out, that I mounted it too high and too far towards the door. Now it is totally ruined, because you cant close the door, and it has about a 2 inch gap from the floor. After getting everything sanded and ready for paint, I chose to test fit it! 5 hours of sanding... gone.

So I took a hacksaw and cut off my entire day's work. Put everything back in the car, and got ready to mold it inside the car so I knew everything would work. Ohhh no....

I RAN OUT OF RESIN! I made a feeble attempt to get it in there. My budget and time will not allow me to make another attempt at it if this doesnt work. But good news, I did get some pictures! Go to http://www.cardomain.com/ride/853580/6 to see the work. I only got some while in the process of sanding, and the last 4 pictures are my feeble attempt to remold it.

I will get some pictures loaded up when I get done with it, may be in a few weeks if my budget turns out to not allow it.

·
The Parts Guy
7,421 Posts
Two words: practice and patience. Also, make sure you're mixing the hardener with the resin thoroughly. From the pictures it looks like the top half of the pod is mostly hardener, while the bottom half is almost pure resin. It should be a reddish brown color when mixed up.

I have a little experience with fiberglass. I had to make most of the front of my 90 XR7's headliner out of the stuff to get the overhead console to fit the headliner correctly:

-Rod

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well... It turns out that my budget did allow for more resin, 3 new brushes, and another thing of mat. Haha the resin was $15 alone, but the tiny little 50 cent bottle of hardener in the cap was busted, so I took it up to the service counter and asked for a discount since it was the only bottle left. I got the bottle for $5 because of a 50 cent tube of hardener.

And an update on that pod... Wow, I had to redo my entire mold of my pod... Not just the mold of the pod to the panel... So I had to take a hacksaw to it for a half hour, remold the floor mold, restretch the fabric, fiberglass that so the pod would be enclosed, then fiberglass the pod to the floor mold. Now I am waiting for that to dry so that I can mold the pod onto the panel one last time, and then tomorrow I can fill in all the rough spots, sand, and paint! Wow... Starting to hate fiberglass...

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
Yes, but just think of how cool it will be when it's done ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts