TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright guys that long awaited kickassness performance part is going in on saturday:zdevil:. is their anything i should watch out for??? i know i need to use engine assembly lube, so im just going to coat the cam journals and the lobes. i have the romeo pi cams and i happened to come across the anderson ford motorsport tool that i purchased. i know about the torque specs on the top cam plate i forget the name of it:rolleyes:. but it's about 80 to 90 inch pounds. and the cam bolt gets either 80 or 90 foot pounds. i need to bleed the lash adjusters just slightly to make reassembly of the cam easier. but is their anything else i should be on the look out for??? i am going to take my sweet time with this and do it right.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
just in case that tool doesnt work and you have to go the normal way by taking off the timing cover, get yourself a short 10mm ratcheting wrench...it will save a LOT of time taking off the power steering pump bolts :)

and remember, there is a passenger side and a driver's side cam...cant mix them up

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i knew i forgot something but i just realized that the cam sprockets that came on the cams say left and right but i will check the numbers just incase the sprockets got reversed by some weird reason?? anything else?

·
Registered
367 Posts
? isn't when u order the aftermarket pi cams u can used ur old cam gears right? would u need spacers or anything ?

·
Registered
288 Posts
not sure about aftermarket PI cams, typical PI cams have a perm. sprocket. the cam sprockets look different, I believe they have the large "bump" on the driverside cam. Been a while since ive been inside that engine so I cant be sure.

Ive seen many writeups where the anderson sprocket tool didnt work so plan extra time to pull the front cover. and if you have to pull it, take pictures as you do it... noting where the different studs and bolts go. Thats about it for tips... Oh it wouldnt have a buddy to help make sure you get the cam timing right.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
well you can go ahead and remove the sprockets on the cams seeing has how you'll be reusing your sprockets....this way you just slip your current cam sprocket still in place with the timing chain right back onto the PI cam

once you remove the sprockets that came on the PI cams, you can check real easily which side they go on.....take one PI cam and compare it to the 1st cam you take off your engine....rotate the PI cam with your hands while looking at the orientations of the lobes of both cams....if that PI cam belongs on that side of the engine, you'll quickly see that after a few revolutions, the cam lobes will line up perfectly (all will point in the same directions, respectively).....if that PI cam does not belong on that side of the engine, you'll see that no matter how many times you rotate it with your hands, the lobes on it will never match the lobes of the cam you took off, so you'll know that one goes on the other side

guys, he has ROMEO PI cams.....only the Windor PI cams had pressed on sprockets.....Romeo cams had bolt-on sprockets....the driver's side sprocket has a solid face with a bump on it for the cam position sensor, and the passenger side has several holes in the face

washers can be reused.....just remember to keep the bolts from the PI cams.....they are smaller than the NPI cam bolts, so you need to reuse them for the PI cams

·
Registered
367 Posts
ok thanx cause when i do my head swap i've got the romeo pi heads, but installing aftermarket pi cams vt, or comps, so i can reuse my sprokets off my 94 cams, or need different ones?

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
make sure your timing is right, I'm here if you have any questions, a couple of things you'll realize along the way, the intake manifold doesn't have to come off, the large square power connector on the back of the passenger side head has to be disconnected to get the valve cover off, make sure you have an INCH lb torque wrench for the cam bolts, lots of assembly lube, take out each lash adjuster keep track of their proper place, bleed them down if you want but be sure to soak them in assembly lube, before you disconnect the chains make sure the keyway on the crank is at 9 o clock to place all of the pistons below the deck hight so that the valves don't contact the pistons, be sure to rotate the engine several times by hand to check for positive valve contact, it makes it easier to torque the cam bolts if you put a 3/8" drive ratchet in the back opening, ford recommends replacing the cam bolts and considers them on time use only. Any other questions please ask.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it took a little long then i thought. the anderson tool work like a charm... and the new found power is awsome it pulls so much better past 2400rpms all the way the 5300 rpms right before the 1-2 shift and it just keeps pulling... i love it the seems like it just went on diet.... next is the pi intake and a luandry list of other things..:D

·
Registered
974 Posts
Good to know this swap went smoothly for you. I'm going to be doing this swap in the next couple weeks as well. I have all the parts i just need the valve cover gaskets (just wanted to change them since the covers will be off)...

I didn't realize these cams helped all that much without the PI intake (which i dont have installed). Good to know that when i put the PI cams in there will be SOME difference without the intake and the full gains WITH the intake.!

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i can't wait too do the intake then get an 02 gt mass air with a chip should be alittle more fun gettin on it from a red light :D

man i love these cars....:headbang:
oh and a big thinks to robertp for letting me buy those cams from him.:thumbsup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts