TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
AnimeWhore
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was headed down to southern VT to spend Christmas with my family today, but sadly I didn't make it. I had just gotten gas in Williston and was about to get on the interstate when started smelling antifreeze. My first thought was that I had blown the intake, and sure enough, I was right.
When I pulled back into the gas station to assess the damage, I found that the intake was blown under the metal bracket behind the alernator, and it was spraying coolant all over the alternator (and pretty much everything else). I also noticed that I had either coolant or condensation from all the steam dripping into the passenger compartment from somewhere under the glovebox....hope I didn't grenade the heater core too. :|
I did manage to get the car back to my apartment in Winooski without having to call for a tow, but now I'm pretty much screwed. My Cirrus is also dead...I blew the tranny in that all over the road a while ago, and it's still sitting in the shop waiting to be fixed. It would have been fixed and on the road a while ago if I hadn't lost my job at IBM. >:-[ stupid economy.....grrrr
Well, now I need to know how much it's gonna set me back to get this fixed. Any indeas?
I'm really quite upset. ;_;

·
Registered
390 Posts
Otakujohn, I was just mentioning to a friend at work about your intake. He's got a 'Stang with a 4.6. He says that there is a recall at least on the Mustangs and possibly other cars using the 4.6 too. Anybody know if that's the case?

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
There is a recall, but it's only for 7 years from when the dealer sold it. Also, with my intake, we should be able to do it in an afternoon and for under $100. Sometimes you are willing to pay more to get it done sooner. Besides, me and John need a reason to meet, we are the entire Vermont chapter. :uppoint:

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
If your car was *first* sold *after* Dec 24, 1996, the intake will be replaced for free. I didn't purchase my '96 new until May of 1997, so I'm still covered for a little while, ('already replaced once).

·
AnimeWhore
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, I think I'm a little too late for the recall. :(
I had been giving the intake manifold the evil-eye for quite a while wondering when it would decide to rape me. It figures that it would finally happen at the worst possible time.
I really didn't even want to drive my bird in this white crap...it has already taken a real beating. I'm missing paint on BOTH my bumpers and winter is just getting started. :bawling:
I'm going to do all that I can to make sure that my original plan to mod the hell out of the car and get it repainted this coming summer reaches fruition. I swear, I will get a forged and supercharged 4.6 in there if it's the last thing I do.
I just need to find some decent employment first. :leftright

Greenbird: you've got a PM or two.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Friends & sharing is what life is all about :ztoohot:

Remember the Homeless and Less Fortunate in our World :angel2: :angel2:

·
AnimeWhore
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The Alternator Brace and all the gaskets are going to be ready for me to pick up tomorrow morning. One thing bugs me though, and I thought I'd stick it out here on the public forum to see if anyone knows what the story is.
The dealership said they couldn't get the Alternator Insulator (part # XL1U-10329-BA) because that part had been replaced with the whole alternator. I don't really feel like spending tons of cash on a new alternator right now, is not having this part going to cause problems putting the new manifold in?

update: greenbird says we can get by without it. I'm glad it's not a big deal. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a '96 4.6 and mine blew this past May. I missed the recall by 3 months! The new ones are aluminum right behind the alternator where the old ones are all plastic. I got the whole thing replace by a local shop for $220.00 including labor and a Ford warranty on the intake for 1 year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts