TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooo....last night I went out to test my new 4.10 gear, welded up IRS, all new bushings, new bearings, and Raxles half shafts. First pass out I ran a 13.00 at 107mph....not bad for getting used to the new gear and all the shifting. So I dropped the tires down to 15psi from 18, and get them real warm for the next pass. I was sure of a 12.8-12.9 pass on the next slip....well the pictures tell the rest of the story.

But all is good, and Marty is the man and a new axle is on its way. I guess he says I'm the first to snap one of these things....ohh well.

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
It's not the Vortech, it's the clutch. Nobody else is making that kind of power with that much gear and a manual tranny. 4.10's with a low 1st gear in the T-45 combined with really good power (not trying to downplay) and really good traction are what broke it.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Sir William, my earlier response was meant to be taken all in fun. I agree the immediate suspension shock that the 5-speed/4.10 combo provides is what did the raxle in. I'm very pro-Vortech, so I was just having some fun.

·
Registered
329 Posts
damn i dont think even coy miller has broke one of those.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
As SW said, it's the sudden shock from the clutch engaging and the 4.10s only make it worse. However, the slicks are really what made it happen. If less traction was availible, he wouldn't have broken the shaft but done a burnout.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
ouch, I've still running on my V6 halfshaft :eek: with 273 ft-lbs twisting them........ better toss the SC fat shafts I have in there before I have an incedent like that. Just be glad it was the 1/2 shaft and not the crank shaft (same shock load that broke the halfshaft was also put on the crank shaft, An automatic car can get away with a weaker crankshaft than a stick car)

just noticed you have a stock bottom end, WATCH THAT CRANK :eek:

·
On Probation
2,019 Posts
I hope I don't break one of my stock half shafts. I run hoosie quick time dot pros with 373 gears and a mark 8 torque converter. I have 445 ftlb of torque at the crank and 400 hp.

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts
Exactly like the Cobra guys broke them all the time. It does little good to buy bigger halfshafts when that part has to stay the same size. I'd have a transbrake in my car if it wasn't for breaking them just like that.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Nobody thinks this part may have had some sort of an accident during heat treating that caused the treating to not "cure" properly? I would think the tires would just smoke off before a good hardened axle would break. Heat treating is a very finicky process temperature control is critical. If someone so much as breathes on a part during the process it can be ruined. I know this because I once sent some parts to be heat treated. I installed the parts and after about 10 passes each everyone of those parts failed and I had to replace them. I later was told the problem may have been caused by someone opening the cabinet door during the cooling process.
If the material cools too fast it may become brittle. Which is what I think happened here.
Alan

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
dirtyd0g said:
Nobody thinks this part may have had some sort of an accident during heat treating that caused the treating to not "cure" properly? I would think the tires would just smoke off before a good hardened axle would break. Heat treating is a very finicky process temperature control is critical. If someone so much as breathes on a part during the process it can be ruined. I know this because I once sent some parts to be heat treated. I installed the parts and after about 10 passes each everyone of those parts failed and I had to replace them. I later was told the problem may have been caused by someone opening the cabinet door during the cooling process.
If the material cools too fast it may become brittle. Which is what I think happened here.
Alan
Word, see how it broke? - Thos angular breaks mean it was brittle.

The metal either had impurities or raxles sucks at heat treating. It's very easy to screw that process up.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well its not full blown slicks on my car yet. They are nitto 555R's at 15psi. I made it about 10 feet out before the axle snapped.

At first I thought I killed first gear in the T-45. So I tried second gear....nothing. I immediatley thought I twisted the imput shaft or output shaft in 2. I never even thought about the Raxles or driveshaft....as they arent supposed to break. Chris

·
Registered
647 Posts
Those shafts are suppost to be good down to a 1.2 sec 60' according to Raxels. Did you also weld up and strengthen the upper control arms? Maybe they twisted to help cause the break.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just got done doing the whole MN12 IRS buildup. All welded, boxed, reinforced, and new inner bushings....along with POLY knuckle bushings, pumkin bushings, and POLY filled rear diff mount. ANd new hub bearings as well.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Cool...I kinda agree with the defective product as well. The trans input shafts that I've seen sheared break off real clean. That jagged edge looks pretty odd to me, but I haven't seen a broken Raxels axle before either.

Glad they stand behind their product for you!

·
PostSkank
3,231 Posts
Blake-vortech said:
Great Job. If your breaking stuff your heading in the right direction. Switch to a Auto it will be faster and more reliable.:)

heh, I dont see that happening anytime soon :)

not with all the fun he went through to get it in. And how many blown 5-peed V8 birds are out there anyway :zdunno:

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I like my stick, as does any man....you know what I meant, get your minds out of the gutter.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts