TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after three months of having no car & riding my bike during the coldest part of the year...I have wheels again!

I was all set and ready to purchase a 1990 Ford Mustang GT convertable...it needed a lot of work, but ran excellent and was FAST! Well, a disagreement with the seller led to my backing out of the deal on Wed. As this was happening, my dad calls me, and says he bought a car for me to buy from him...well, at first, I said no thanks, because I wanted to do this deal without any outside influance, but after thinking it over for a few hours, I decided to buy the car from him because I know he won't screw me, and I pretty much needed a car right now, and what he found was overall (hopefully knock on wood) better than all the other POS vehicles I'd looked at...so...while I'm a die-hard ford guy, and this vehicle never would have even made my list, I went for it...

1989 Chevy Caprice (4 door) light blue with dark blue cloth interior, 74,000 original miles, 305 V8, one owner (old woman) This car has ALL paperwork, even the original sales contract! It is in pretty good shape, nice paint, a couple little dents here & there, nothing bad...has the TBI "fuel injected carb" setup on it...engine starts immediately and runs good...picked it up for 2,000 bucks

Only real big flaws that I've noticed are that the previous owner was a very heavy smoker, and while the car does not smell too bad, there are a few burns on the drivers seat and carpet--with the exception of that the interior is nearly flawless...the ashtray is a nasty mess, and the plastic between the top of the ashtray & bottom of the radio has the nastiest nicotine stains I have ever seen. The car has a crappy stock AM/FM radio...the volume control likes to go up and down whenever it feels like, and the radio is caked with nicotine stains...I'll clean the inside up better soon, but it's not bad considering...

Bought a dash kit & wire harness today for a CD player I have, but after disassembling the dash and getting the radio/ac controls out a little, I couldn't get them out...and realized that I was not going to get to the speakers if my life depended on it, so I put the dash back together, with the exception of the factory radio & ac controls which are sort of half out right now...the ashtray & parts it mounts to are unbolted and just kind of loosely hanging too since I couldn't get that stuff back together...so...annoying rattle...but I'm gonna take it as is to a stereo install shop since I have all necessary parts, and just have somebody install the cd player with new speakers for me and put everything back together since they're the pros...can't believe how much of a PITA this car is to do an install on...thought my sister's old 4runner was bad...at least I was able to do it!

anyway...I'm happy to have a car again, and I hope it's reliable

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I know I will take crap for this but that car will last you a life time and I personaly like the square body caprices. I had an 84 in a similar color, 305 5.0 same deal with all the paper work and reciepts. I got the car for 450$ with 300K miles on it all original motor and trans, I got rear ended and pushed into a poll at 30mph and the car was still able to drive 3 miles to home! When I junked it , it had 365K on it and still ran strong, best damn car I have ever owned (as far as being reliable anyway). Good luck with it.

P.S. Fantasic with the orange citrus works GREAT with about 2 rolls of paper towls to clean nicotten stains and get the smell of any smoke out of a car. I had to do this on my Explorer when my dad gave it to me but now you could never tell it was a smokers car. And if I remember correctly aren't the speakers in the dash? you just pop that panel up and unscrew and replace the speakers. Atleast thats how the 84 was, I doubt they changed it all that much.

·
Registered
474 Posts
It looks clean. I know how the smoker stains are. We accualy share somewhat of the same story of buying cars. For the stains I used mean green. It dosent take a whole lot but a little more than normal. For the smell I just drove with the windows down. It went away eventually. Just say no to anything bigger than will fit in the wheel wells. (Ie: lifting it to make them fit)

·
Registered
680 Posts
I had a 87 Caprice. It was dark blue on Light blue. changing the front speakers and radio were a PITA but other than that it was a nice car. I, too, am partial for the square caprices as long as they don't have 26" rims on them

1 - 5 of 5 Posts