TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so, january of this year, the alternator goes out on my old 95. I took my chances on a brand new looking piece from the junkyard. Charged OK, but made more noise than the bad one did....

So, I went to the parts store and bought a "new"/remanufactured alternator, put it on, all is good....for a few months. BOOM...dead. So, I look, and look, and look, can't find the invoice...they won't honor the warrentee without it.

SO...I buy ANOTHER NEW alternator, this time, with a "lifetime" warrentee. All was good on that the whole time I had it, sold the car, bought the 96, etc.

First time I drove this car, the voltage seemed on the low side, and once I started to monitor it, sure enough, it was low, hovering around 10-11 volts, sometimes dropping into the 9's, RARELY hitting 12-13, where it should be....my experiances with GOOD alternators on these cars and they hang in the high 13's to low-mid 14's

Today, the alternator on the 96 started making all kinds of horrible noise with major voltage drops....:D

So I'm gonna buy my fourth alt for a tbird this year :cool:

No biggie....cheaper than a car payment ;)

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
weird....where did you buy it from the first time?
Most retail stores keep the info in the computer, so you don't have to keep up with receipts.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
really? How do I rebuild it to a 200 amp?

It tells how to do it in the service manual, right?

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Hey Earl, the last time you were looking for an Alternator I posted a reply .. I think I still have my OEM 50k mile 4.6 Alt ... dont have a SOHC anymore ... ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts