TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a crank but no start situation on my 1997 Thunderbird. It was running just fine last night when I parked, but when I went to start it this morning, it would crank just fine but not start. Where is the schrader valve to see if I have gas? Full tank as of 40 miles ago, topped off only 5 gallons and it's good premium from the station I usually go to. I was going to spray starter fluid into the air intake from the filter opening to see if it fires up, or should I spray directly into the intake? I figure if it doesn't fire on starter fluid, it's a spark issue, if it does, it's a fuel issue.

If it's coils, how hard are they to replace? Is there a control module for them since it's not starting at all? Anything else I should look at? I did pull the battery to reset the computer just in case, that did nothing.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
if you searched just a little more, you'd have found that a faulty crank sensor or frayed crank sensor wires will cause a no-start situation....check yours...odd are quite low that all the coils within the coil packs all went out at the same time....there is no external module for the coils, they are driven straight from the pcm

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Crank Sensor wires look fine, I'll see about replacing it this weekend, but once I pulled it out from the street and had it rolling down the road for a second, it fired right up. Possibly a bad relay under the hood?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
It could still be a bad starter. Sometimes the teeth of the gears seem to only be bad in one spot and when you move the car the gear is turned to where it isn't so bad. Idk, I had a similar problem but somehow it went away on it's own I guess. The only thing that I've changed since then are spark plugs and wires. That could have been the cause I think.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I doubt its a starter if it turns over.
She cranked as long as I turned the key, just wouldn't actually fire. I sprayed some starter fluid into the intake, and it fired up but wouldn't stay running, so I thought fuel filter, but now it's running. Filter will be replaced this weekend one way or another, but is there a relay that controls the pump perhaps?

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
The fuel pump relay is in the CCRM, which is a box full of relays for the PCM, fan, and A/C clutch as well. It is in front of the airbox and is not serviceable.
i was thinking "fuse", but I still typed "relay"..lol

Woodman, as master486 said, the relay itself is in the CCRM....double check that all your fuses are good

·
Registered
654 Posts
I've had a bad battery cause a crank, no start issue with my car. The battery had enough amperage for the starter, but not enough juice left over for a "hot spark" It couldn't hurt to check the battery & cables.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
will do, thank you!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts