TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well it has been happening more often now. when on my way home from work in the afternoon when it seems to be the hottest outside and i come on the highway and i gun it to get out ont ot he highway,later during my trip my car seems to have a high idle....like the cruise controle is stuck on becasue of it. and thus thoring the shift points off. i was thinking maybe something is stuck open or something with a vacum leak or something.

but like i said it dont do it all the time seems like when its hot outsdie and the car warms up thus making the car hotter. it seems to do it

i dont know, the throttle body plate isnt stuck open nore has the throttle screw been messed with to alter the idle.

when sitting in drive at a light or stop it will be at about 900-1000 rpm, and when i accelerate to about 20 mph, and let off the gas, the mph actually climbs.....

soooo can ANYONE show me toward what i should look into.

thanks for NAY advice
Dean

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
if you think it may be the MAF, just unplug it...

·
5,650 Posts
if you think it may be the MAF, just unplug it...
Extremely bad advice. DO NOT unplug the MAF as a way to fix the problem because you aren't fixing anything. In fact you may be making it worse. The MAF is an integral part of the powertrain control system and unplugging it will force the computer to operate in "limp home" mode. Your gas mileage will decrease, you A/F ratios will constantly be off, your power and driveability will suffer, and you will hasten the demise of the catalytic converters. If the MAF is bad (which it probably isn't if no codes have been thrown) then it needs to be replaced, not unplugged.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea no codes are being thrown, i cleaned the IAC and it seems to be better, but wont know till its hot again, il keep an eye on it, could it also be a vacuum leack somewhere?

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
that will usually be your iac going out if it keeps doing it i may need to be replaced. ive never heard it happen but i asume the cruise control could malfuntion too but thats an easy check just disconect the linkage

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well im not guessing the cruise control, cuz it will actually speed up with the hgh idle lol. but thanks alot guys for the quick responces. i broke the fins inside my original IAC and got one from the junkyard from a car with i think 100K on it. so maybe this one is going bad, oh well it was cheap.

like i said i gave it a good cleaning, ill see how it works tomorrow.

thanks again
Dean

1 - 8 of 8 Posts