TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever done side pipes on an MN12? I'm going to give it a try next month, I know it's got some obstacles to work out, but I think it'd look sweet. Just wondering if there were any pics or anything, and if I'm going to be a pioneer on this. Pioneering is cool.:D

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Yeah some people whine that it can't be done... but if they can do it on a mustang they can do it on one of these cars. It can be done with a little effort.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah some people whine that it can't be done... but if they can do it on a mustang they can do it on one of these cars. It can be done with a little effort.

That's my reasoning exactly. I think it would look so bad-***, I'm willing to do pretty much whatever it takes to get it done. Of course, in the DIY spirit, if I can't do it myself, I'm going to hate paying someone else to do it for me. ah well, we'll see how it goes. I'll keep you all posted.

·
Chief of Warranty Police
1,492 Posts
Don't ever let anyone tell you it can't be done. Anything can be done with the right amount of time and money.

Good luck with the project, make those pipes look "like they growed there" :thumbsup:

·
Registered
56 Posts
It can be done, cause I had em on my 92 tbird back in highschool.

I didnt have any pipes actually running down the sides, Just tips that stuck out in front of the back tires.

My original plan was to buy some .... I don't know what they are called... saleen or Boss side pipe exhaust covers.

Anyways I wanted to get some of the side pipe exhaust mouldings and try to mount them to the sides of the tbird.

The main problem I had with em is they hung way too low. I would knock em on speed bumps and they were a biotch to keep clean.

IMO it WAS and still IS a really nice idea for a custom exhaust that will look right on a tbird if done properly. I was in highschool and didnt really have the funds to get em the way I wanted them.
Maybe I'll get back around to doing them correctly on a different bird.

·
Real Ultimate Goatse Hunter
850 Posts
lobird91 has them on his 5.0 mn12.

EDIT: and his car is already pictured in this thread lol

·
Registered
921 Posts
Now I have something I bet very few people have done, this is just an idea mind you. If you know what those headers on the Dirt Track Late Models look like, thats what I'm thinking should be tried. Run some headers right behind the front wheels!
Maybe a little bit back and have a muffler attached(even though loud pipes save lives, cops don't like it. Funny how the law goes only one way). Just a thought. Let the flaming begin!

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Silver95Bird said:
I'm not saying it can't be done but the mustang is a different animal. Lets not forget that the mustang fuel tank is mounted behind the rear axle where ours is in front of it right where the mustang side exhaust exits

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know if you guys are talking about the same thing I'm thinking about. I'm not talking side exit pipes, I'm talking about side pipes, like on old hot rods, the long chrome pipe running along the rocker panel. I've already got exhaust that exits just behind the rear tire, and it's nice, but I think this would look better. Well, in August, I'm gonna give it a shot.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Ohhhhh no I don't know of anyone who has done that. In that case be careful of the fuel filter which is mounted on the rocker panel at the front edge of the passsenger door. You want something like this

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
like the old "laker" pipes that the old vettes used to come with that had the covers on them w/ all the slits in them? I think that would be cool, but I'd do it up like the A/C cobra and just leave the header and pipe exposed w/o the funky covers on them.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yes like that. Although I agree, I would like to find one without the heatshield, just a simple chrome pipe. I have seen some that have a fake header look to them, but they're only 2" pipe, and something about the fake pipe doesn't agree with me, and to get the real thing would cost wayyy more money than I make. But even the ones with the heatshields still look sweet:thumbsup:

·
Registered
890 Posts
so somebody photoshop something up so we can see what it would look like!

anyone??

·
Real Ultimate Goatse Hunter
850 Posts
SloMo228 said:
yes like that. Although I agree, I would like to find one without the heatshield, just a simple chrome pipe. I have seen some that have a fake header look to them, but they're only 2" pipe, and something about the fake pipe doesn't agree with me, and to get the real thing would cost wayyy more money than I make. But even the ones with the heatshields still look sweet:thumbsup:
Now come on we both live in Michigan and if you tried to drive that around on a daily basis you would end up cracking the headers from the of all the **** that the pipes would hit lol.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah i know about Michigan's lovely pristine roads ;) but I just gotta figure out a way to do this cuz I really want this look. we'll see, either I'll fail miserably or cobble something together that works and looks halfway decent. And I was thinking, the 2" tube might not be a bad idea, since I'm going to be losing a heckuva lot of backpressure, maybe the smaller pipe would help offset that? or maybe I could try to cram an x-pipe in there someway?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts