TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
To date I had only ever driven one 2006 V6 Mustang, and I was not impressed. Basically it felt like a wider heavier version of my 2004 V6. I still have never driven a 3V 05-10 Mustang.

Well, today I drove a 2012 5.0 automatic, and a new 3.7 V6 automatic.

The GT was a very, very nice car, It rides nice, handles well, the brakes are great, it is way too fast. That car could be trouble.

The V6, with 300HP was nice, has a decent exhaust note, this was a base model car, so, no leather on anything, no volt meter or oil pressure guage, no options, very basic. This car in a strange way had more of a "push you back in the seat" feeling than the GT, I think it was an overall lack of refinement when compared to the GT.

Which brings me to this point...one word describes both of these cars, refined. The V6 really didn't do much for me. It was a very nice car, in the way that all brand new cars are very nice, but it felt like a cheap rental car to me.

It's strange, and I never thought I would say this, but the Mustang GT with the 400+ HP V8 just didn't do much for me. It went very fast, very quck, according to the speedometer, but it just did not feel fast to me, and it wasn't really fun to drive. A 03-04 Mach 1, the handfull I have driven, a 99+ Lightning, even a 99-04 Mustang GT, all seemed like more fun to me, and all gave me an ear-to-ear grin.

For some reason the 5.0 just didn't do much for me. It seems that 400+ HP would pin you back in the seat and peel your face off, yet, I didn't see that. Of course, this was an auto and I did not turn the traction control off, and as wild as I got behind the wheel was contacting the carpet with the underside of the gas pedal. Even that, just didn't have any kind of insanity behind it like the above mentioned cars.

I got in my bird and drove home and had an absolute blast. I think I just like loud, harsh, uncivilized vehicles.

I am completely amazed that I am saying any of this....the reason I had never driven an 05+ GT was because I figured that I would want one, and just didn't want to deal with that.

I think based on all this I am completely satisfied with my old bird, and would take it, or any of the other cars I mentioned above before I would take an 05 or newer mustang.

I will say this, the 05+ Mustang is a vastly superior car to the others I mentioned in every way, road noise, squeeks, rattles, vibration, harshness, are all not an issue...or maybe it was the quet stock exhaust and soft shifting automatic.

Either way, I am stumped.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
i like more ''gritty'' cars as well... if i had a choice between someone giving me a new gt fully loaded with a 6 speed, or 20 grand to spend on my car. im 100% sure id take the money...
Im with you. Built not bought is always better.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think what it really boils down to, is that in the last couple years I have really mellowed, and my priorities have changed. Also, the idea of a car payment is not something that I want to think about. Even if I had enough cash saved up to put a huge down on it, or pay it off immediately, I don't know that I would want to trade a big pile of cash for a car.

I can think of quite a few things that would be more fun and money spent more wisely than that car....first I thought that perhaps I was just over the whole car thing, but that is not the case...I think it's just that priorities change, and, that car would get me into trouble :D

·
Super Moderator
16,822 Posts
There's a real rift within late model Mustang clubs with this too. Many love the room, solid feel, options, retro looks, ect. of the S197 and many love the sleek agressive look and raw feel of the Fox and SN95. Every week in the local club there's an argument that breaks out over it.

I know what you mean about it though, the GT I drove a few months ago was way faster than it seemed it was from inside, the speedometer looked like a freakin tach at WOT lol

Im with you. Built not bought is always better.
X2. I'm not one for making payments on a car, I'll never feel comfortable driving it spiritedly. For way way under $30k I could build a car I REALLY like with the same performance rather than a car that looks like a bloated Mustang II

·
Registered
844 Posts
There's a real rift within late model Mustang clubs with this too. Many love the room, solid feel, options, retro looks, ect. of the S197 and many love the sleek agressive look and raw feel of the Fox and SN95. Every week in the local club there's an argument that breaks out over it.

I know what you mean about it though, the GT I drove a few months ago was way faster than it seemed it was from inside, the speedometer looked like a freakin tach at WOT lol
X2.

The cool part about the SN95 was alot of the "problems", that it wasn't super fancy, not the most refined chassis, etc, etc. All the things that make a sports/muscle car what it is, just how a fun car is supposed to feel. There's plenty of options out there for a 2 door sporty luxury car (The G35 is the first to come to mind). The S197 just doesn't feel like the muscle car a Mustang is supposed to be. My dad has a '06 Shelby GT-H (The really rare ones), and yeah, it's quick, but it's just too easy to drive. We took it to an autocross one time in the wet, and after I took a few runs in my car, I jumped in the GT-H, and, having never really driven it hard before, went and turned a time 2 seconds faster than the best I could do in my car, but it just felt wrong (Granted, almost worn out RE-01Rs don't work so well wet, and he's got the 18's and Eagle F1s from a GT500 that were almost new, but enough of my excuses)

X2. I'm not one for making payments on a car, I'll never feel comfortable driving it spiritedly. For way way under $30k I could build a car I REALLY like with the same performance rather than a car that looks like a bloated Mustang II
X3. Anyone can buy a fast car, takes some real skill to build a fast car. And it takes less money and no skill to buy one that someone else built fast. lol

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
My mom once had a 05 v6 mustang, I drove it and hated it lol
I have a 2000 GT 5spd and love it. Lot of fun to drive.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I'd say its the computer. The same thing that let's it get great peak numbers is also making sure you don't have too much power, I guess nannies rule now. Remember its all drive by wire so you have no real connection to the road.

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
I drove a 2011 V6 Stang vert in Hawaii and I thought is was one of the nicest rides I've ever been in. But if I were to choose between the list of older gen cars you mentioned it would have to be the older gen. They ride just as good if not better and I like the look and feel of the Mach, Lightning and Cobra over the new stuff.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Yep, take it from a former '11 GT owner. It was fast in a straight line no doubt, but other than that...I wasn't happy with it.
C'mon.. I have the feeling it was great on twists too. Are you sure it wasn't just too tame in handling them and you didnt get that 'edge of the cliff' feeling... ?

I drove a mid-2000's GT and I'm sure it was better than my 84 SVO was.. just not the same thrill.

·
Registered
379 Posts
This is a very interesting observation and fits well with something I've been planning on posting. About a month ago I totaled my 95 Bird - worst feeling ever. So the wife and I purchased a "new" 2007 Sport-Trac as my daily (not even similar to Mustang GT, but hang in there...we had been talking about getting a truck anyway). Its the newest thing I've owned and driven for that matter. And like the previous posts: a newer vehicle is nice - comfortable, dependable, low miles/maint. and all that. Now...I LOVE my Sport-Trac. I looks damn good (IMO), it's practical and comfortable. As I drove it over the next few weeks I thought that I would grow out the Bird. I said to my self "I can handle losing the Bird" But then I moved it from my parents house to my uncles auto shop so he could sell it for me. And man did miss driving it. I cranked it up and forgot how much I loved the sound of the exhaust, the feel of the V8 (Trac is the 4.0 V6) and just the feel of MY 95 Thunderbird. Now I really hate to get rid of it! I just don't have anywhere to put it and I could use the money too but still. Plus I still have the first car I used in high school and college - 93LX - then I got the 95LX so how cool would it be to still own both one day?! I just don't want to regret getting rid of it.
I came home that day and told my wife "You know I'm going to have to buy another Bird one day right?" She sighed, put her head down and said "I know. I know."

Just thought I'd share....thanks for reading.

·
MAMN12 Posse Member
2,903 Posts
C'mon.. I have the feeling it was great on twists too. Are you sure it wasn't just too tame in handling them and you didnt get that 'edge of the cliff' feeling... ?
It was horrible on the backroads, and trust me, we have plenty here in WV. It felt too soggy and heavy, and the solid rear axle didn't help. Many times when going over sharp hills, I could hear a loud "thunk" from the suspension. Having owned 3 Tbirds, a SVT Contour, and an STi as well, I can safely say the Mustang was worse than the others.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Jeff, most people don't know how those roads really are out there. Having family in Easter KY, I don't think Ford designed any car to like those roads ;), especially with a coal truck coming the other direction.

Though is nice to hear that even how the Mustang's solid axle is praised its still not as good as our IRS, though does imply that GM's and Dodge's IRS are really bad.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts