TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was torquing down the nuts that retain the top of a strut assm. last night and I stripped a nut because I read the wrong torque specs for a ford part instead of a monroe part. So I went and bought a new nut and washer from home depot and at worked its self tightening magic so well it snapped the strut stud before I reached the torque specs for monroe!!! Im clearly new at this and want to fix this if possible with out buying the new strut again. Im going to have a shop drill out the stud tomarrow but I have to drive the car there is that dangerous??? Can this be fixed with a new nut and bolt? I know there is some real experience here and thats why I love this board. I also need the car aligned so it drives funny to me when steering.

·
drag-aholic
1,056 Posts
the single bolt for the top of the shock (call it a shock here :D ) or one the 3 bolts that hold the upper mount to the car?

·
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
one of the 3 little ones on the shock :D the one in the middle to be more exact.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
2 out of 3 bolts isnt bad. Alot of the weight of the car is going to be holding it down anyways, its not going anywhere. :D

- Dan

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
They would be the 'Upper Shock Mount to Body' which would normally be torqued to 17-22 lb/ft (22-31 N-m). You could take the mount out and drill out the remaining end of the stud and replace it with a bolt. Although the chore of trying to put that in and hold it in place might be near impossible. The $30 for a replacement upper mount may be money well spent (and it is definitely well spent if the age/mileage of the car is high or they show any signs of delaminating. It is a part that does wear out.

·
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I should be ok to drive to my local shop 10 minutes away

·
Registered
479 Posts
You should be more then fine, like said before it only holds the top mount to the body and keeps it from rotating. Since you have the other two bolts to do this I would just keep an eye on it to make sure the stock is not sliding around againest the body.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts