TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, when I bought my PT Cruiser back in September, I figured that it wouldn't be so bad since it should be a reliable and efficient vehicle. It has been anything but, and the dealership doesn't seem to be willing to do anything about it. I've had the vehicle in the dealership's shop at least 5 times already. The alignment was out the first day I had it and had to be fixed. I recently had the power steering pump replaced, which they charged me the $100 deductable for (would've been $385 without warranty coverage). I've had it in several times for poor gas mileage and an electrical issue, but they keep trying to tell me that it's completely normal.

Okay, so it's normal for a PT to get 11.9 MPG in the city, 19 MPG on the highway, and for the interior lights and headlights to dim/flicker on their own or when I hit the brakes? Sure, especially when last night I hit the brakes and the headlights completely went out for about two seconds. That's not good on a dark road at 11:30 at night. I already contacted Chrysler, but they say they can't do anything about it since the dealership is independently owned, but that my complaint was put in their file. I went back to the dealership yet again today, but they say all they can do is keep trying to fix it or trade me out of it. Their only "possibility" for a trade-out was a new Neon for $450 a month, which is WAY out of my price range, and I don't want a Neon anyway.

I'm sick of dealing with these people. Is there anything I can do to force them to do something about this?

·
Registered
890 Posts
IN Lemon Law

Indiana has a lemon law, but it looks like it has to be a 'single problem' that the dealer can't fix after like 4 tries.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's been in for the gas mileage about 4 times, but their records won't show that since they refused to look at it once.

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
So take it in once more for the fourth time to look at it

·
Registered
31 Posts
my mom bought a PT loser. I hate that car
she purchased it for $20,000 brand new off the dealership in 2003 (overpriced IMO)
she takes it to the dealership every other month for service.
the thermastat went out.
the rotors already wraped.
poor gas milelage as well.
pulls to one side on freeway
and now recently she found out that the cylinder heads wheres cracked from a overheating problem. car only has 35,000 miles it.
I would make them trade you for another one without the problems

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
It is strange to me to hear about how bad these things are. My mother bought one as soon as they came out. Over the years she has put close to 100k miles on it. The only thing that has broken on it was the battery cable corroded until it split in two last week.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Does the car still have the factory warranty? If so, any Chrysler dealership should work on it. You also could file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, but nothing may come out of it.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tell all Paul said:
Does the car still have the factory warranty? If so, any Chrysler dealership should work on it. You also could file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, but nothing may come out of it.

It doesn't have the factory warranty, but I'm paying extra per month for an extended 2-year/24,000-mile full-coverage warranty. They just don't seem to know what they're doing, or they don't care. All they ever seem to do is hook it up to the computer. I think the only time they ever popped the hood was to replace the power steering pump (unless they can do that underneath the "car", eliminating another need to open the hood :rolleyes: ).

·
Registered
647 Posts
You could do like my neighbors dad did when he bought his new 2005 Chevy pickup. They wouldnt fix the problems, nor take the vehicle back...SO...he cut out and made his own yellow lemon shaped magnets and stuck them all over his truck, which let people know it was a lemon, and put the dealerships name on it. He drove it for about 3 months like that. Then they were tired of seeing it, and it actually ruined some of their business. So they replaced the truck, and gave him a new one. Hasnt had a single problem with it yet.

I'm sure you could find some yellow magnet squares somewhere, like a hardware store or somethin, just shape em like a lemon and go to the dealership and say "look, you guys need to fix my vehicle, or replace it, OR i'm going to keep driving my PT cruiser around like this, with lemons tattooed all over it, and your business name, so people know you have crappy vehicles" or somethin like that.

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
:uppoint: as much as I'd find that hilarious, I think that borderlines slander. I think it MIGHT be legal because it's not in a publication, but I'm not positive of the details. Still, that'd certainly get their attention

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Falcon5783 said:
:uppoint: as much as I'd find that hilarious, I think that borderlines slander. I think it MIGHT be legal because it's not in a publication, but I'm not positive of the details. Still, that'd certainly get their attention
Slander would be "They are a bunch of cheating liars." Saying, "I bought this truck at Joe's Dealership and it is always tore up," is only telling the truth.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
welcome to the horrible world of "extended warrenty". The dealership DOES sell you the warrenty but there hands are tied behind there back when it comes to actually doing repairs under the warrenty. They, the Extended Warrenty companies, operate just like most insurance companies, DENY EVERY CLAIM. the dealership is responsible to prove that the "mafunction" is 100% the cars fault and not from abuse, improper maintainece, or an act of god. If the dealership can prove that then the deny the claim and get stuck with the bill which is why they don't really want to look at it again unless they are 99% sure they can find the cause immediatly. Extended warrenty should never be boughten as they usually find you at fault for a failure 90% of the time, Wait until you gernade the Tranny or pop a headgasket........ Driver abuse.....

·
Registered
890 Posts
tinman_72 said:
Slander would be "They are a bunch of cheating liars." Saying, "I bought this truck at Joe's Dealership and it is always tore up," is only telling the truth.

I agree that just having the dealerships name on your truck would not be slander. I don't think you even need to say that you have had problems. Just having their name written on a 'lemon shape' would get the point across quite nicely.

I say go for it, it's not like they are your favorite people right now. (unless you don't want to drive around in a lemon car........)

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Sounds like a sucky experience all around, no all that far away from what my grand parents are going through. I am surprised that you haven't had any cooling maladies and head gaskets. Say what you want, I got 120k out of my Cougar before the head gaskets went out, and I can't say I wasn't partially to blame, but a few year old car on the second set of gaskets and heads, ouch. Seems like a weak spot on them along with other things. It sucks for my grand parents, heads after warranty expired, extended one didn't cover it fully, chunk of change. My grand father (lives in the mountains miles away from civilization and is in his 80s) had to buy a beater Ranger to have a vehicle that he can successfully drive more than 3 times in a row.

I thought a plus side was it got good mileage, but it sucks for that too. He loves it for the looks and slight utility value it has, but he was better off with his 80's grand wagoneer.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Falcon5783 said:

It's never slander (or libel) if the statement is based on truth.

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Drive the 50 miles to another dealer!! Take a couple days off if you need to and drop it of, with an appointment, first thing in the morning. If necessary, have them bill you and you submit it to your warranty company (read fine print first). There is no excuse for a dealer doing that, they know you're far from the next one and will do anything to keep from getting it fixed (more deductibles to collect)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts