TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a 97 Bird in the yard today with low miles 59k and a rear end code of XE

From my books XE = 3.27 8.8'' Trac-Loc.

However

This is the part I don't get, I took my camera with me and set it for video mode, as I turned one wheel the other did not move at all? I switched sides and it's the same thing only one wheel moves???

Should I pass or should I buy?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only thing I could get is maybe some one just spent all day burning out with it.

But that just seems odd for a 59k mile car. (The car is clean other then the front end damage)

My plans for this were to remove them from the car and remove the gears and install them into my Mark 8 project rear end. Kind of a low cost locking rear end.

How hard is removing the clutches wile I have it all apart?

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
if it was in park, and the shaft was in... wouldn't it NOT spin at all?

??? or am i crazy?

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
oh. well how about that....

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
idk. just seems to me like the trans should lock it if it's in park. but i have never messed with it.

·
Super Moderator
7,526 Posts
idk. just seems to me like the trans should lock it if it's in park. but i have never messed with it.
The trans does lock in park. That prevents the wheels spinning together in the same direction. However there is nothing to lock the spider gears together, so they can spin around each other, which would result in one wheel turning forward and the other turning backwards.

The engine and trans are both out of the car (since they had low miles I'm guessing.)
With the trans out, spinning one wheel will spin the yoke on the rear end. With a TL rear, it should spin the other tire too, but it is possible for the clutches to be that cooked. My crown vic that I had, I drove the car for over 2 years thinking I had an open rear when it was in fact a TL. I even did the check spin by turning one tire one way, and the other went the other way. Eventually I took the cover off to change the fluid, and it wasn't until then that I found out it was a TL. I pulled it apart, used a set of clutches I had laying around the shop, put it all back together, and tested it again and they spun together. So the clutches can be that wiped out. Did you check to see if the tag is still on the diff? If it is, that would be a good way to tell if it is a TL or open. If not, it might be worth it to drop it out and pop the cover off to see. If you do, and it turns out to be an open, then just don't buy it and all you are out is some time.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
The trans does lock in park. That prevents the wheels spinning together in the same direction. However there is nothing to lock the spider gears together, so they can spin around each other, which would result in one wheel turning forward and the other turning backwards.
i wanted to say thats what i thought was happening, but i didn't want to type it out. :D

thanks for explaining it.

·
Super Moderator
7,526 Posts
Once it is all apart, there is literally nothing to changing them. With the spider gears out, you just pull out the clutches, and then stack the new ones back in. Once you have it apart, you will see how easy it is. As for where to get new ones, ebay, summit, and your local ford dealership would all be good places.

·
Registered
178 Posts
If you're going to take it apart to install the pieces in a MK VIII aluminum case, you'll probably have to have a pro reassemble it to set the clearances correctly. You might as well have them do the rebuild on the traction lok unit too. Rebuilding the traction lok is A LOT easier than setting up the gears.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts