TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright. My check engine light came on the other day. My buddy tested it with his SCT module and it said "sys too lean" and i did a search on here and found out it could be a vacuum leak and i think thats what it is because i hear a sucking sound in the engine near the throttle body (at least thats where i think its coming from).

My engine will idle at about 6-700 rpm. and act like its going to stall out but never does. I unhooked the MAF and it still runs the same and does not stall out.

I took the MAF apart but i do not have the tool to take the actually filiment out of its place.

I have search with my hand all around in the engine where think the leak could be to no avail. I am scared to use the Carb cleaner method because of the possiblity of it igniting.

I also have no clue where the vacuum lines run in the engine, is there a diagram somewhere?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Alright i did a little more tests.

It all started saturday when i got my subs hooked up. I notice that when i shift out of park and keep the brake on the car will act like it wants to stall and my batt. meter gets closer to the 8.

Could all this becaused by a bad battery?

And maybe its the IAC, but im not positive.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
28 views, no replies.....*tear*

I did find the diagram for the vacuum lines, inside the engine bay...but i cant make any since of it :(

·
one in a million
146 Posts
I had the same prob with the t vac hose when I first got my cougar..

theres a hose that go's across next to the tb intake it was dry and cracked...

fixed it and reset the car's computer and was good to go..

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
YES!!! I found the leak.

There is a small hole on the tvac...but there is an even bigger hole if you follow the line coming out of the tvac and under the TB, where you can see it just past the TB there is a huge hole.

As soon as i touched the hole with my finger the hissing was muffled.

But now....how in the crap am i gonna repalce that tube in such a hard location?

·
one in a million
146 Posts
Thats the same thing that happened to mine.

I had to replace that same hose..

can you believe my car passed smog with that hose cracked like that.. it did surprisingly...

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alright, went to the ford place today.

Had to order the part, i'll be able to pick it up tomorrow :)

And you were right, with tax came to $12.80

·
Registered
52 Posts
next time. if you think you have a vacuum leak and are afraid of the carb cleaner method, get a spray bottle and fill it with water and set to stream. any liquid will temporarily block the leak, which will make the engine run differently.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts