TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, who wants to help me smash my car up and then burn it to the ground?

I don't know what else to do at this point. My intermittant no-crank issue is STILL around...when the problem first started, shortly after, the alternator died. So, I replaced it. Was good for a few days, then, BAM...problem returned.

So, I went out and bought a starter solenoid, from Kragen, installed, car would not crank. Next day, tried to return it, kragen refused "because I used it"

So, I left Kragen, went to Napa, and bought a BRAND NEW starter...installed, car fires up faster, better, all is good...problem solved? NO

Go to start it this morning, car won't start. Same problem, turn the key, nothing happens.

Here is the pattern with this.

The car doesn't like to start in the mornings. The only time I Have this problem, is Monday and/or Tuesday mornings around 5AM, but it does it I am assuming every morning. If there is dew on the car, typically, it will not start until the sun comes out and bakes the car for a while, heats everything up, then it will fire up.

Example:
Wednesday of last week, I tried to start the car at 6::00, 6:30, 7:00, 7:30, 8:00, 8:30, 9:00, and it would not start, would not crank, no click, nothing. I went out about 2PM, and it fired right up, no problem. If you want to know what my car has been doing, put your car in drive with the engine off, then try to start it. That's what happens.

SO WHAT THE HELL?!?!?!?!

I am at a loss here.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
If it started when you replaced the alternator, I would remove, clean, and re-fasten the connection comming out of the voltage regulator at the top of the alternator... You know, the one with the big black wire with the orangeish stripe?? The one with the rubber cover on the little nut to prevent you from starting a fireworks show in your engine bay??? Yeah... That one.

I doubt you removed it, but you may also want to check/clean the connection to the fuseable link (I think that's what it's called) at the other side of the black orange striped wire.... It's under the sliding cover by the high-voltage fuse pannel. I'd disconnect the battery before doing this though, as it's easy to throw sparks....

My money's on my first idea though. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Addendum:

If all of the lights and power to everything cuts off when you hit the starter, it's likely the hot side....

If everything stays on, and you only hear maybe a click from the solonoid, you may have a ground issue... Run a jumper cable between the battery (-) and the actual engine block when you're experiencing the symptoms. If it starts, add a ground strap. Happened to me.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm gonna try the ignition switch next...probably put new battery cables in too, plugs and wires, battery, and MAYBE the MLPS while I'm at it...if that doesn't fix the issues I have no idea....

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Why not test things instead of throwing parts at it? Do you have a multimeter? Have you tried to start it in neutral when it doesnt want to start?

I have to remember which wire is the ignition hot wire when you turn the key (I believe it was the pink/yellow wire). If you dont get 12+v then your switch is bad. I can check which wire it is for you. Then if that tests well, go down the line from there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts