TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I did replace my distributor and as you know the last one had jumped a notch or whatever. I closemindedly turned the rotor of the new distributor to line it up with TDC. Now the car won't start. *sigh* Any tips on what I should do? I think I may have lined TDC up on the exhaust stroke. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Pull it out and try again....

·
Registered
64 Posts
a smart ass comment would be something more like: take it to a mechanic.
Now that's being a smart ass!

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I honestly was not trying to be a [email protected] You mentioned that you thought you put it a TDC on the exhaust stroke so it sounds like you know what the problem is. Take the distributor out. Put cylinder #1 at TDC on the compression stroke and try again.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I honestly was not trying to be a [email protected] You mentioned that you thought you put it a TDC on the exhaust stroke so it sounds like you know what the problem is. Take the distributor out. Put cylinder #1 at TDC on the compression stroke and try again.
I only started this thread to get confirmation that maybe I DID put the cylinder on the exhaust stroke. Or possibly ran into a more serious problem. I am sorry for snapping at you. With online chat its hard to tell what people are saying and you didn't include a smiley so I figured you trying to be smart. I'll take the valve cover off and go from there. Since I am working by myself I can't crank the engine and stick my finger in the hole at the same time. :tongue: Thanks

what a way to get help..

have you tried rotating the dist. as you're cranking?
Obviously....

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
dude, I guess you won't learn.

lose the young wipper snaper attitude, and grow up.

Maybe tell us, what you have done, and maybe we can go from there...

yes, we know you changed out the dizzy, and might be off.

Are you 100% sure the new dizzy is good?

And if the last one jumped a notch or whatever, would it not have been wise to just put it back over a notch or whatever?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
...I am sorry for snapping at you. With online chat its hard to tell what people are saying and you didn't include a smiley so I figured you trying to be smart...
I understand and apology accepted. I see where you are coming from with the "no smiley thing". That is a thing that happens to me once in a while. I have a tendency to type in complete sentences without abbreviations and, whenever I can, I read my posts for spelling errors before hitting send. I also don't usually use emoticons whether its happy or sad. Its just the way I am. I'll try to remember this in the future.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok. So my car is running, and actually pretty well compared to before. The idle is questionable though. It seems to be misfiring, but at higher RPMS (1000 and above) the engine runs great. The CEL is not coming on. I did some research on the internet and I found an article that said on some pre-1995 vehicles if the battery were disconnected the EEC would lose all of its codes therefore the CEL would never come on. Is this true? Or is my rough idle not a big enough deal for the CEL? I cannot find that article anymore. =/ Thanks.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
wellit could be too advanced, did you pull the spout while doing said timing?

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Dammit Jim, I'm a smartass not the grammer police! (not to mention I just did 3 shots of 151 proof rum) ;)

Seriously good luck with it! After two of them I hate ford 3.8's and have sworn off ever wrenching on one again. I spent about 8 yrs keeping those damned things going. the one I even had to replace the harmonic balancer on it had been around the block so many times. I guess I should have junked it long before that failed. lol, lesson learned. so far, 3 yrs into it, I still love my 4.6 :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dammit Jim, I'm a smartass not the grammer police! (not to mention I just did 3 shots of 151 proof rum) ;)

Seriously good luck with it! After two of them I hate ford 3.8's and have sworn off ever wrenching on one again. I spent about 8 yrs keeping those damned things going. the one I even had to replace the harmonic balancer on it had been around the block so many times. I guess I should have junked it long before that failed. lol, lesson learned. so far, 3 yrs into it, I still love my 4.6 :)
Oh believe me. If I ever get another Cougar its gonna be a 5.0l or a 4.6l. This 3.8 is worthless to say the least.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
5.0 car !

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
if you think its worthless, you're not doing it right ;)

No matter what car you own, as long as it has a distributor, you will be just as well of as you are now. Timing is just a guessing game. You can play it smart, or play it blind. Either way, as long as you know what you're doing you'll eventually get the right tooth lined up. You just have to keep pulling it out and stickin it back in there.

-Thomas

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

if you think its worthless, you're not doing it right ;)

No matter what car you own, as long as it has a distributor, you will be just as well of as you are now. Timing is just a guessing game. You can play it smart, or play it blind. Either way, as long as you know what you're doing you'll eventually get the right tooth lined up. You just have to keep pulling it out and stickin it back in there.

-Thomas
Well I got the timing to what I think is the peak performance. There are still other things that need to be replaced (O2 sensors, radiator, fan clutch) that were screwed over by the hgs. I guess what I should say is that the Engine itself is worthless because it has over 200k miles on it and there is oil coming up into the throttle body. Which most likely means a hell of a lot of blow by. *chuckles* I guess I was just frustrated because I can never seem to stop running into problems with it. I mean to be honest it ran better with blown hgs =X. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts