TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
midnight toker
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yep I know it's sad I stood in line for over an hour but I got my copy of HP: HBP (Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince) who else has? or will?

·
Registered
817 Posts
harry who?

eh, ill just wait till the movie comes out, i do enough reading all day as it is.

·
Jedi Master
3,647 Posts
dameon said:
yep I know it's sad I stood in line for over an hour but I got my copy of HP: HBP (Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince) who else has? or will?
:crazy:

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
You know, I may have wanted to actually read those, but something ruined the experience for me. That experience is working opening night for every single one of the HP movies that has come out. That was enough to make me wanna pimp slap JK Rowling. lol

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Th ebest part was the 14 books that were sold in Canada a few days to early
and they got some judge to swiftly ban the buyers from reading their books!
:confused:

If that had been me I'd tell them some less nice things.. :D

//Per

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
DMcBrideBoston said:
My 8 year old sister did as well :D ......... :rolleyes: eh.......nice find
:rofl:

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
dameon said:
Let me get this straight. You're 19, you quote Dante in your signature, and yet you spent an hour of your life waiting in line so you can read a children's book. Why does this make me think you haven't actually read the Divine Comedy? Perhaps a quotation from Beatrix Potter or A. A. Milne would be more appropriate...

·
Registered
347 Posts
The Divine Comedy is commonly read in high schools, as I'm sure the HP books are -just outside of class.

mercutio said:
Let me get this straight. You're 19, you quote Dante in your signature, and yet you spent an hour of your life waiting in line so you can read a children's book. Why does this make me think you haven't actually read the Divine Comedy? Perhaps a quotation from Beatrix Potter or A. A. Milne would be more appropriate...

·
midnight toker
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mercutio said:
yes i'm 19. yes i do quote Dante. and yes I spent an hour waiting to get a "childrens book" as you call it. it probably makes you think I haven't read the
Divine Comedy because you probably think it requires some kind of lesser intellect to read Harry Potter and derive enjoyment from the book. And this intellect could not enjoy reading the Divine Comedy and still find some fun in Harry Potter. What I should inform you of is that I read quite alot and a vast array of books ranging from the classics of Frankenstin, to the Divine Comedy, Moby Dick, Shakespeare, ect. all the way to Steven king, John Grisham, Thomas Harris. and loads of poetry and yes even the lowly as you put it "children's" book's in the form of the HP book's. In fact i read so many books you would probably concider for a "child" that I can see someone not thinking I read what I do, but it is very pretentious of you to assume you know that much about me.

so perhaps maybe just alittle less ego and accusations as to what I have and have not read in your opinon is "Appropriate" though I do thank you for the suggested replacements for my quote.

·
midnight toker
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Derek said:
The Divine Comedy is commonly read in high schools, as I'm sure the HP books are -just outside of class.

actually that wasn't read in my high school, my english lit. teacher thought the Iliad was a better choice. Honestly I read the Divine Comedy in the 8th grade for a book report, and no i had no idea what i was really reading.

but yeah the HP books would be out of class if i was still in H.S.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I haven't read the HP books. (Love the movies though) I have done a lot of reading and a lot of them have been what would be described as "childrens books". One of my fovorite authors is Rudyard Kipling. I've read ALL of the Jungle Books, and most of his other works (There are actually very good lessons to be learned in most of his writings). I'll read more of them if I can get the books back from my boss (a Phd)! :D Many books that are considered "childrens" books can be enjoyed by people of all ages. I've read Moby Dick, Robinson Crusoe, Tom Sawyer, most of Twains writings. I simply prefer lighter, more whimsical writings. This doesn't make me a child anymore than enjoying Stargate SG1 does.

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
sg-1 rocks! :D

·
midnight toker
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
dameon said:
yes i'm 19. yes i do quote Dante. and yes I spent an hour waiting to get a "childrens book" as you call it. it probably makes you think I haven't read the
Divine Comedy because you probably think it requires some kind of lesser intellect to read Harry Potter and derive enjoyment from the book. And this intellect could not enjoy reading the Divine Comedy and still find some fun in Harry Potter. What I should inform you of is that I read quite alot and a vast array of books ranging from the classics of Frankenstin, to the Divine Comedy, Moby Dick, Shakespeare, ect. all the way to Steven king, John Grisham, Thomas Harris. and loads of poetry and yes even the lowly as you put it "children's" book's in the form of the HP book's. In fact i read so many books you would probably concider for a "child" that I can see someone not thinking I read what I do, but it is very pretentious of you to assume you know that much about me.

so perhaps maybe just alittle less ego and accusations as to what I have and have not read in your opinon is "Appropriate" though I do thank you for the suggested replacements for my quote.
Fair enough, and no, I shouldn't have come across as so condescending, so sorry for that. Glad to hear you have read what you have; I was just surprised that someone would read Dante would also read HP. Perhaps the latter are better than I have been told.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts