TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
CatBird Creator
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Allright, I've been saving for a while, and I also recently got a nice chunk of cash for a birthday present. I wanna get a new exhaust system, dual exhaust of course. (not true though, too expensive) Now, I was thinking of removing the cats, putting a 50 series where the resonator is, and running straight pipe back to dual chrome tips. I'll have all the piping replaced too. But, I know some people have really nice 3.8 exhaust sounds. I was just wondering, since I dont want to blow all this money, what is the best sounding exhaust for around/under $350 for my 1990 cougar?? I really want that idle rumble and that top end power, help me out, thanks!!

Kyle

·
Registered
935 Posts
here you go..

Hey man I went to check on some duals for my 90 bird and it came to 365 for the following: Replace all the pipe after the cats w/ 2.5 pipe with 40 series flowmasters. This was with true duals too. I went to a Minute Muffler which I've heard from others that they do great work fro cheap as you can tell. Might want to check that out.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
here is mine, 96' 3.8L with NO cats and a 50 series flowmaster inplace of the resonator and NO other mufflers.

My exhaust

·
Registered
467 Posts
i hate those birds in the background...ahhh!...

tehre always by my house an won't shut up in the morn!

but nice soundin exhaust..im doing that as well...one muffler running back then into a Y pipe..sounds really really good...can always fool the people thinking you have an 8.. ;)

·
CatBird Creator
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey....

rancherlee, how much did that cost. I know a lot of places say they wont take of my cats since it's illegal, how'd you get around that? also, what size piping do you have, i LOVE the sound of your car.....thanks!! also, wondering what kind of flowmaster 50 series, I have only seen 2.25 dual inlets, 3 in singler outlet, what do u have?? thanks so much!

Kyle

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I have THAT dual 2.25" in single 3" out, and I did all the work myself, cost me 200$ for all the pipe and the muffler. ( I have a wirefeed welder and lots of time on my hands)

For a mildly moded 3.8L just use you stock downpipes/cats which are 2" and run 2.5" from the muffler tot he back and split it into dual 2.25"

My exhaust is 2.25" into single 3" back to dual 2.5" and its TOO big for my car with all the goodies (will be JUST right when the vortech goes in)

·
CatBird Creator
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
allright, i dont plan on throwing anything big, so i'll just buy that flowmaster and get those size pipes all hooked up, then try and find a nice price. thanks a lot rancher

Kyle

1 - 7 of 7 Posts