TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
TSTaCC President
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I dropped off my car at a place called TransTech in Hatboro. I tell these guys at least two weks in advance and set an appointment for the car. They say my car will be dropped off on tuesday and be done friday. Well, they are supposed to call me friday....today and tell me to pick her up. No call! So I decide to call them and they give me an atitude saying that they never got the shift kit in(which you can get at pepboys about a mile away). So now they tell me the car is almost together yet they don't think I may get my car back until maybe tuesday...maybe. I can't beleive this. This car has one of the most commonly used transmission out there and these people "specialize in automatic transmissions." Wouldn't you think they keep this stuff laying around for use when actually needed, which I guarentee is alot. So they never call me to tell me I am not getting my car...even with 2 weeks notice to get the simple common part and now my christmas planning is totally shot. I am carless and now cannot go down to south jersey to my fiance's house which I was sooo excited about. I couldn't wait to atually go down and see her(1hr. 45 min drive) so now I am totally screwed. I am never dealing with these people again. I better get some kind of discount on this...a major one or there will be some major hell to pay. Sorry, but I had to rant to someone. I am pulling out my hair here getting sick to my stomach about the whole ordeal.
:boom: :boom: :zsoapbox: :boom: :boom:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Your car probably got put on the back burner,because they had some big ticket jobs to do first!Or,surprise the tech that was suppose to do it got "ill"....I see this happen alot........its all about the$$$$$$$

·
Johnny Five is Alive, TCCoAAC Member
1,614 Posts
Sorry to hear your mis fortunes..

I had a tranny rebuilt once from a guy.. got home put it in.. and it would shift out of 1st gear.. Took it to him, he fixed it while i waited (dropped the valve body and fixed his mistake)..

Some Mechanic shops put you on there "Customer Knowledge = Speed of Service"

Just give them a grief story and see if they give ya a discount.. You can't get too upset with them.. Did they look busy? Were they busy when you dropped off your car? If your car was fine when you dropped it off.. they don't see a rush on it.. If you took it there just to have a "Shift Kit" put in it.. I would of done it myself.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Sounds like the shop you took it in for the job is a bunch of boneheads. A shift kit is less than 4 hours work with a few breaks tossed in. I would find a better place to fix your car. There are plenty of good shops, trouble is they are always very busy!

Jim Long

·
TSTaCC President
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
another new development

Well, I go by the place this weekend with my fiance(its closed on weekends), and I go to check up on my baby. Well, now shes on the bottom bay and for some reason the hood is up...... I specifically asked if they were going to touch the motor and they said no. So why does the hood have to be up? Especially that the place is closed all weekend. What purpose does that serve except for putting stress on my hood shocks? Then heres the kicker. I remember I have a hood light. well, the hood light is not on but the bulb is still in place and the batery is still hooked up which leads me to beleive my battery is now currently dead. I just can't win.

BTW I had the car put in the trans place because I couldn't go past 2nd gear and overdrive had no effect, the engine ran free. I was getting a rebuild plus a shift kit to kill two birds with one stone. i told them this car was my only means of transportation and it was very very important for her to be back to me as soon as possible.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
It took me 10 days to rebuild my girlfriend's AOD. When it comes to trannies, all bets are off. Whenever you take your car to a shop, you are already taking a risk-- they don't always replace things that should be replaced. Most of the time I spent on the rebuild was spent hunting for a new reverse clutch drum. Honestly, with what I know about automatic trannies now, I would rather buy a new one from a reputable builder than send it to some "expert tranny shop" to get it fixed. EVERY story I've heard regarding tranny shops is a bad one. There are so many things that could go wrong with a rebuild-- you think they are gonna spend the time cleaning and re-assembling your valve body? Fat chance. I guess you just didn't know what you were getting into. I guess you need a backup car.

PJ

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
PJ-4.2L said:
It took me 10 days to rebuild my girlfriend's AOD. When it comes to trannies, all bets are off. Whenever you take your car to a shop, you are already taking a risk-- they don't always replace things that should be replaced. Most of the time I spent on the rebuild was spent hunting for a new reverse clutch drum. Honestly, with what I know about automatic trannies now, I would rather buy a new one from a reputable builder than send it to some "expert tranny shop" to get it fixed. EVERY story I've heard regarding tranny shops is a bad one. There are so many things that could go wrong with a rebuild-- you think they are gonna spend the time cleaning and re-assembling your valve body? Fat chance. I guess you just didn't know what you were getting into. I guess you need a backup car.

PJ
Yeah, I had that happen.

Not only did they break my AC belt but the tranny failed 8 months later.

And it took them 3 weeks.

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
Blown94SC said:
A shift kit is less than 4 hours work with a few breaks tossed in.
Jim Long
hehe you georgia boys and your UNION breaks.

j/k man.. a friend of mine is a sound engineer in GA.. always taking a UNION break..

:D :D

·
Registered
610 Posts
jamesD said:

hehe you georgia boys and your UNION breaks.

j/k man.. a friend of mine is a sound engineer in GA.. always taking a UNION break..

:D :D
Ya gotta get coffee or a beer now and then.... :D

Jim Long

·
Registered
658 Posts
Bob,
If you ever need a good transmission guy in the neighborhood let me know.
I know of a guy who is fast honest and cheap.

This is a public service message from your fellow Pennsylvanian.

danman

·
TSTaCC President
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
update

Well, as of yesterday the trans place still had my car. I called them in the morning and they said the car was currently on the lift and they were currently working on it and it would be done by at latest five o'clock. I said cool and thought about how my mother was down the street dropping my sister off from school. Well, I told her to drive by and she tells me the car is sitting in the back of the parking lot still. obviously the typical mechanic lie about service. Oh well, I could let that one slide.

Next now, I am leaving around 4:30 to pick up the car when I get a call saying the car will not be done that day. I freaked out after I hung up and went another day without my car. The reassuring part was that my father drove by later that night and told me the car was on the lift. Finally, now we are getting somewhere.

Well, the day before I was told it would be done first thing in the morning, wednesday morning, this morning. I was soo excited about the reuniting of my baby and myself. Well, I stare at the clock until two o'clock in the afternoon thinking...."Wow, this sure doesn't seem like first thing in the morning and I call them up. In a gruff voice I get "yeah, its done." I wanted to tell them how appreciative I was that they actually called me. Note my sarcasm there as they have never called ME, I have always had to do all the calling . The only call I ever got was the one saying it wouldn't be done the second time they told me a time to pick her up.

I get there and see my car is now outside and ready to go. The guy gives me a slip for 1,552.25 At this point I am about to go nutz on them and calmly say "I thought you guys told me 1,200 for the estimate." He looks at me funny and says "which guy told you that? who said that much." I state that indeed it was the other guy in the bay who had told me 1,200 and that the guy whom I was speaking to at that exact second was the one who told me 1,200 to 1,400. They both look at the slip and go "ooooooooooooooooooooooh, this is a print out for someone else, we must of put his price on your information." Honest mistake eh? Well, my total came out to 1,340.90. I just wanted to get my car out of that place and back on the road and didn't feel like fighting so I paid it and got the hell outta there.

As for the road test....she is now making a weird exhaust ticking sound. Just great. It only comes on if I get on it. The car feels alot sharper now with the shift kit. I actually have to watch myself now because as soon as I get on it from a stop, shes at 55mph. I can peel out from a dead stop not even getting fully on the gas pedal. The steering and brake pedal and gas pedal all seem very sensitive now though, very odd. They put 4 miles on the odometer I noticed also. I like how shes acting but there alot of weird sounds going on now like slight whining noises coming from where the tranny is, maybe its even the power seering, I dunno. It makes the sopund when I am at a crawling speed and turning. The exhaust tap is a little annoying. And now for the check engine light. It has always come on before but now its instantaneous. the guy said he did a check on it and said "its the EGR" so I guess this is something else I gotta fix. How is the EGR effecting my car? Is there a hi-po replacement that I can do to help out my car?

Anyways, thanks for letting me rant again, All in all though, I am just soo glad I have her back again, and better than ever.

·
Registered
658 Posts
A non-functioning EGR valve will not hurt the performance of your car.
There are no high performance parts for it.
They are typically around 100-200 to replace.

Take the valve off and attemp to clean it first. Many times the valve will become crudded up with carbon buildup from the exhaust. Scrape that stuff off and make sure the shaft of the valve will move relatively freely. If that doesn't work you may just have to replace the valve. The purpose of the valve is emissions. As we live in an emissions controlled area, it may be a good idea to fix it instead of it remaining broken.

hope this helps.

danman

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
A chug, chug sound under load and an EGR code? Sounds a lot like you've got a leak in the path that the exhaust gases take to get recirculated. I haven't seen this personally on a 'Bird but it's common on older F150s including mine. Could be the valve or check for leaks in a tube or pipe that runs from an exhaust manifold up toward the EGR valve. I'd wager the trans shop loosened something up under there, it wouldn't take a lot of tugging on the exhaust if the fitting were rusted to get it leaking bad enough to hear it, and hear it they did on that 4 mile check ride.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts