Votes: 16 47.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
who would have guessed that moving my car from the front of my house to the side, in 2 inches of snow i would get stuck twice. 245/45s, I HATE YOU

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Yeah, we might be expecting snow this year. A cold front is on its way and it should drop into the mid 40s tonight. I was freezing today, all day it was around 70-80 degrees. :cool:

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol, i hate you

·
Registered
970 Posts
mmm...I just push that little button on the dash that says 4x4......

I like my explorer :)

nice to know that my birdy is sitting in the garage at home and hasn't seen a flake of snow all year.....
and it was especially nice not having to drive it on this black ice that my explorer didn't even like...

-jw

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
get yourself a trak-lok rear if you dont have one - the difference is night and day. My 97 doesnt have near the traction my 95 did (the 97 has an open rear). And in the snow those super wide tires arent helping you either.

·
Registered
294 Posts
It snowed real good here and didn't give me a bit of trouble. We had about 5" in the parking lot at work yesterday and last night I pulled out of the spot and drove thru fresh stuff and then drove 30 miles home. I've got a new set of Nokian 215.65.16's on my stock sport wheels and an extra 100 lbs in the trunk. After cruising home (up to 45 mph when no other cars were around) I heard on the news that the speed limit was 35 mph due to blizzard conditions. lol.
Before the flames start, I checked turning adhesion and braking before going there and it drove like the road was wet. These tires are made in Finland where snow and ice are comonplace and they have high speed limits. Generally I buy US made only products but, there isn't a good ice, snow, slush, and dry pavement tire made here yet. Later in the season there will be new tires made by Dunlop that are close, I don't know what their point-of-origin is though.
These puppies have 12 mm directional sipes and have ice grips like the Blizzaks. They have the sidewall 'teeth' to drive in the deep stuff and are pinned for studs if you wish.
I am not a tire salesman or professional mechanic nor do I get commission on any sales, I only give information for people that have 'issues'.
Enjoy your 'Bird because with a little set-up you can drive them all year, BMan.

·
Registered
552 Posts
No snow No show:tongue:

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Trak-lok helps in the snow? My boss had a Cougar, which he said he had put a posi rear in, and he said it got worse... but he also didn't have traction control.

I didn't have TOO much trouble in Ronkonkoma... I had trouble on some hills if I stopped, bur as long as I was moving, I had no trouble... kept it in second almost the whole trip home with speeds never getting above 30.

It is nice to be able to jump in my truck and push the 4 Hi button and go :D ...
It goes with 4wd better than the Cougar, and stops better because it has bigger tires, deeper treads, and weighs almost twice what the Cougar does.

Silver95Bird said:
get yourself a trak-lok rear if you dont have one - the difference is night and day. My 97 doesnt have near the traction my 95 did (the 97 has an open rear). And in the snow those super wide tires arent helping you either.

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
i like driving in the snow. makes for a fun time. we are supposed to have 18-20 inches before it stops snowing up here tomorrow afternoon. we probably have about a foot or a little less right now.

Frank

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
My Cougar is a summer car only, but it's still in my snow covered driveway (for another week or so).

Today I fired her up and was going to take her for one last rip on DRY roads, but it was 'stuck' in her parking space, the 255's wouldn't even crawl over 2" of snow.

4.30 gearing w/posi and too much power = no go in snow :D.

Thank God for the Lincoln with good snow tires :cool:.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
I drove my 91 and 89 through entire winters....sure you countersteer more than a SCCA racer, but that's half the fun. :D

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,118 Posts
Trak-lok helps in the snow a lot. Both tires spin with trak-lok where one usually spins with the open rear! Since trak-lok spreads the available power out evenly( in theory ) between the rear tires, you will get better traction! Open rear end tend to put power to one tire and that is usually the tire without traction, so you just sit and spin. This being said, it is easier on dry pavement to spin a tire with an open rear-end than with a trak-lok.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
all your problems are the wide tires, you need something thinner to cut through snow. kinda like the sharp knife edge concept. I'll be buying some 225/70/15 snow tires soon when I get enough money for it.
-Thomas

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,118 Posts
I do agree the wide tires are bad!

I use 4 Michelin Artic Alpin 205/70R15 on my 96 Tbird! This car crawls around in the snow and ice pretty good! I have owned this car since it was new in 96 and it has only got stuck twice in the snow in the entire time I have owned it! This car also has currently a chip, PI cams, Steeda UD pulleys, Jmod 300 hp setting, GT TC, FRPP 3.73s as the major mods. There is other mods on the car but those are the most notable!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I'm wondering where all the snow is... Dec. 8th and absolutly NO SNOW on the ground in Buffalo is very strange... very strange indeed :D

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
you guy's problems is those clod hoppers you call tires. If the weight wasn't distributed over a 5 foot area you might be able to move :) Also, track lok. Try taping some bike tires on. 100 bucks says u get better traction.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts