TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have what I think is a novel idea. I have seen and heard about ISC (Inventors submission Co.) But I am afraid because they want all the details of your idea. Should I contact a patent lawyer first or look for a development partner?

My idea is for law enforcement vehicles. It also could be used in civilian cars. Anyone know who makes equipment for Police cars?? Perhaps I could take my idea to one of the suppliers for development? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
hello jrb23,

I would first visit with a patent attorney. They are the only people you can involve in the creation of a 'gizmo' who truly obligated to work for your best intrest.

In spite of non-disclosures and promises, no other party (or even partner) is completely trustworthy.

You should patent then shop the idea around. Otherwise your idea is fair game for anybody to copy as their own.
Hope that helps,
Preston

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes that does help indeed. I have heard horror stories about people's ideas being stolen and I just didn't want to get taken. Thank you.

·
Registered
663 Posts
By "police equipment" and since it's obviously car related, I take it that you are referring to beacons. Some of the beacon manufacturers out there are Whelan, Signal, Grote (I think) and Vector (I think). All of the above also make audible beacons (sirens) too or can tell you who does. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think it costs somewhere around $10,000 to obtain a patent. And that only covers one country. You also have to apply for patents in countries that might consider making a product similar to yours.

I was also told that you could write your idea down on paper, include sketches, and mail it to yourself. The post office stamp will validate the date. This will help prevent a company that you approach from stealing your idea.

Edit;

The first part of my post was based on a conversation I had with a gentleman who designed lightweight aluminum framed greenhouses, that you see at nurseries and flower shops.

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
It shouldn't cost that much.

The method of sending it to yourself may validate the presence of the idea but that doens't provide any form of protection of exclusivity. It just represents the existance of the idea.
If others claim the idea then normally this only results in long drawn out lawsuits that are decided by people that sometimes don't make the right decisions or conclusions.

It is true that the protection offered by the patent is useful in this country.
It's all expensive!

Remember: No Bucks, No Buck Rogers!

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Actually, I believe the current price is slightly higher than that.

I can find out for sure at work tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
that's cool... whats your idea for?

I have a sweet concept for a perpetual motion machine, but I don't have the kind of knowledge to make it work.... but I'm fairly certin my idea will work with proper engineering though :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts