TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok here goes,,,no matter what temp i have my sact on it always kicks the compressor on like its the airconditioning coming on,,,now is that normal,when it does do that my voltage drops down to like 10 volts b4 it goes back up,,,im gonna do the big 3 up grade, but thats would be spring, if its not normal then how would i correct it then,cause all my cars b4 this one never did it including my wifes cars too

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no matter where the settings are pointing it kicks on, even if i have it setting on panel and floor it still will kick on, and it takes my car like 20 mintues to warm up because of this,,,if i leave off the sact it only takes my car about 3 to 5 min to warm up untill i turn on the heater then it cools back down

·
Super Moderator
9,245 Posts
The A/C clutch will engage if the outside temperature is above ~50 degrees Fahrenheit (10C) and either defrost, floor/defrost, A/C or max. A/C is selected. The only settings where it should not operate are floor only and panel only.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I think you are confusing issues here. Many FoMoCo products will cycle the airconditioning compressor whenever the SATC is turned on, no matter what vents are selected. Usually runs for a few minutes and them cycles back off. If you have a problem with the car not warming up, then you have a thermostat problem, or low coolant. Most likely thermostat.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
My car cycles the compressor on any setting except 'FLOOR' or 'PANEL' just as sousa632 & rogggg1020 stated...

Happy Holidays to you & yours!!!
-Richard

UPDATE: I'm afraid I was wrong - maybe (it doesn't mention the FLOOR setting)..... According to my 1995 Thunderbird Manual:

"A/C compressor override

The A/C compressor can be disengaged for more economical driving. This can be done by turning the SELECT knob to PANEL. The A/C compressor is automatically engaged by the control in MAX A/C, NORM A/C, FLOOR & DEF,and DEFROST positions if the outside temperature is above 45*F (7*C)."

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well thats is exactly what i thought too about the compressor but it kicks in abd stays on for about 3 to 5 minutes and then off for a couple of minutes then back on and repeats all the time unless i turn the sact off then it stops

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Just floor the gas it will turn the A/C off.

·
Super Moderator
9,245 Posts
You can also force the a/c to remain off by tricking the computer into thinking it's too cold outside to warrant engaging if you unplug the low side cycling switch from the vehicle harness. It is located on the accumulator, which is near the firewall between the passenger's side valve cover and shock tower.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks terminator thats what i was looking for would there be any damage to the a/c if i did this and forgot to plug it back in when i turn it on during the spring or summer???

·
Super Moderator
9,245 Posts
No, the switch simply opens and closes relative to the pressures in the low side of the a/c system. If the low side pressure is high enough, it will close allowing the a/c clutch to engage and draw vacuum on that side. Once the pressure drops to spec (or is too low based on ambient air temperature) it opens disengaging the clutch. Leaving it unplugged would prevent the a/c clutch from coming on at all, which would give the illusion of broken a/c.

Another thing you can do is unplug the coil at the clutch on the compressor, or pull the a/c clutch relay.

·
Super Moderator
9,245 Posts
Easiest would be either pulling the clutch relay or cycling switch, they're right up top and no tools would be needed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
thanks everybody now all i need to do is firgure out the fuse to pull or fuses
This switch is easy to get to, and it will keep the a/c disabled. It's on top of the accumulator.

·
Super Moderator
9,245 Posts
OK, so I'm the old dumb guy here. What are the CCRM and SATC in layman's language?
http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=124074

That's the list of acronyms I made up a bit ago...

SATC = Semi Automatic Temperature Control

Set the desired cabin temperature and air vent location and it automatically controls air temperature and fan speed. Two dials.

CCRM = Constant Control Relay Module

Found under the hood of later model MN12s just ahead of the air box. Contains relays for several vehicle electrical subsystems. Not serviceable.

·
Registered
41 Posts
OK, so I'm the old dumb guy here. What are the CCRM and SATC in layman's language?

I believe those acronyms can be found in the newbie forum old timer. :D

Here<-<-<-

·
Registered
793 Posts
I believe those acronyms can be found in the newbie forum old timer. :D

Here<-<-<-
Wow! A newbie with 15 posts educates the "old timer". :D Thanks for the link. I knew I'd seen it before somewhere but the "climate change" from Florida to Maine must have affected my aging brain!
Thanks again! :usa::usa:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts