TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have oil problems at the valve guides i was using oil as well changed up to 15-50 mobile 1 syn and have no more problems ...had 10-30 before also 10-:cool: 40 with a pint of lucas oil additive works well too try it and see !!!

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
have oil problems at the valve guides i was using oil as well changed up to 15-50 mobile 1 syn and have no more problems ...had 10-30 before also 10-:cool: 40 with a pint of lucas oil additive works well too try it and see !!!
You fixed worn stem seals by changing your oil ?? Hmmm ... So its not blowing smoke anymore ?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I use the thick "no smoke" and it works for about a month until it gets thin..

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
I fix the problem and use the right oil.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
My car started doing it about 70,000miles, I started using ATF to soften the valve seals that worked for a while and always helped. Installing a chip and 180 thermostat really helped as well. At 230,000 miles I dismantled the motor over it.
Alan

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
In my old 1985 Mercury Cougar XR-7 with the 2.3 Turbo, I'd use a quart of ATF in the oil to clean out the coke in the oil passages to the turbo when I'd switch from summer to winter oil. Never burned any oil on startup, but I didn't know it softened the valve seals. Car had 250K on it when I sold it still running strong and bone stock.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
ATF is an excellent conditioner. I use it on everything I own. I think it is the most versatile fluid ever made.
Alan

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
I know of people that use old trans fluid of any kind in there diesels as a fuel mixture. When you use it is it new or old or does it matter the type?
-Robert

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
I too am curious about the use of ATF in the engine oil. I've never heard of this before. So, you guys are totally serious about this, right?

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I add 1/2 quart with every oil change and top it off the day before the oil change with up to a quart.
Also works to clean the intake, 1/2 qt of atf sucked through a small vac line on a running motor, follow with a qt of water and repeat. It will clear the upper engine nicely. Oh and you can use it to wipe down the plastic and rubber under the hood for show quality shine.
Alan

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
I add 1/2 quart with every oil change and top it off the day before the oil change with up to a quart.
Also works to clean the intake, 1/2 qt of atf sucked through a small vac line on a running motor, follow with a qt of water and repeat. It will clear the upper engine nicely. Oh and you can use it to wipe down the plastic and rubber under the hood for show quality shine.
Alan
Seriously?:confused:

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
The atf I have heard of by used car dealers at auction to make the paint look better. Does it matter what flavor you use in the oil?
-Robert

·
Super Moderator
4,889 Posts
The atf I have heard of by used car dealers at auction to make the paint look better. Does it matter what flavor you use in the oil?
-Robert
Raspberry is best.

RwP

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
I only ask because mercon is different then SP/LV. And I know people who say use dodge brand friction modifier instead of fords for a rear end clutch pack that wont shut up.
-Robert

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I add a pint of Motor Honey to mine about once every 6 weeks, and have been for over a year. It hasn't burned any oil in about 6 months and doesn't rattle on cold start-ups (which is the reason I put this stuff to it, to delay me putting new bearings until I can do my swap). I just got through telling the little lady that it's probably almost pure Motor Honey by now, LOL! Seriously, I've changed the oil a couple of times over the past year, so that's not case (I HOPE)...:rolleyes:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts