TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need to vent: I was on my way home after dinner tonight and nearly got sideswiped.

Travelling through the middle of town, I was cruising in the right lane, though everyone else seemed to favor the left lane for some reason tonight. We were all going about 40mph (the limit), and there was a Ram truck in the lane to my left. Directly in front of him was a SUV, bathed in the glow of the Ram's headlamps. I heard an exhaust note increase in loudness, as the Ram surged forward, closing the gap between it and the SUV. Instead of flashing his lights or honking his horn at the SUV, the Ram driver suddenly swerved to the right, coming right for me without so much as a signal.

I swerved too, trying to avoid a collision, while also trying to avoid slamming on my brakes (on account of the drivers behind me). Unfortunately, in my desperation to avoid the truck, I hit the curb quite firmly at an angle of approximately 30° or so (the curb itself was angled, being part of a driveway apron).

I pulled into a nearby parking lot, and a fellow driver who had been behind us stopped too. He offered his phone number, having witnessed the whole thing. The Ram driver just kept going. I inspected the curb-damage, finding a small amount of rash on my wheel, and a chunk of rubber hanging from the sidewall next to the rim. The chunk is about 1/8" thick. Everything else looks okay, and the tire lost no air.

I had an appointment this Saturday to get the alignment checked on my Mustang, but it looks like I'll be getting the 'Bird checked out instead.:mad:

·
Administrator
7,997 Posts
That sucks, lousy way to end your day! :zbash:

Luckily no one was hurt and no real damage (that you can see) happened to your car.

Joe

·
Super Moderator
9,147 Posts
Better than it could have been, but still unfortunate. Hopefully the casualties are restricted to what rash is on the wheel and the tire.

·
̇
3,702 Posts
Stupid drivers.. :rant:

It doesn't sound like the bird got too banged up though, so that's good..

Factory wheels?

Rayo..

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'd definitely file a police report. The insurance co. will want that if you make a claim for damage. Either way hopefully somebody got a plate and you can claim against his insurance.

Let me guess, it was a 'bro-dozer' and the guy was driving like a douche?

Did he have an LED lightbar on at all times to blind everybody? And tow mirrors extended with no trailer? Big stacks in the bed? lol

I'm seeing more and more crap like this everyday unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wish I had caught the plate. The good Samaritan who stopped didn't catch it either. I had my dashcam running, but the footage is too low-res to read anything. I fear a police report would just be a complete waste of time, both for me and for the cops. "Silver/grey late-model Ram" on a busy main street really isn't enough to go on. There's no chance of finding the driver now.

The truck didn't fit the bro stereotype. It looked fully stock. No special aftermarket identifying features. I don't understand how he thought that running me off the road was a better option than harassing the driver in front of him.

The wheels are stock 15" fan-blades. I still have the center caps sitting in a box so they don't get lost. Damage appears to be minimal; I'm more worried about the tire:

·
Super Moderator
10,294 Posts
You got to replace that tire or risk a blowout; that's the worst spot for damage. :frown2:

I'd probably move that rim to the back as well.

I've destroyed some tires and wheels over the years; it's a lot cheaper than sheet metal, especially someone else's sheet metal. :)

I'd replace the rack bushings; they always degrade after a hard hit like that. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
241 Posts
You got to replace that tire or risk a blowout; that's the worst spot for damage.
Agreed. That tire is done. It'll probably develop a goiter soon enough, or maybe just fail entirely.

Rim looks ok from what I can tell. When you get the new tire mention to the guy balancing it about the hit and to check for runout.

It's black friday and discounttire's got good promos on right now, so that's a plus.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So here's an update of the situation:

I jacked up the wheel and was unable to detect any runout. I didn't even lose the wheel weight, either. I stopped by the local Goodyear this morning (where I had bought these tires), and they confirmed that I got pretty lucky. Everything is still solid. The only issue found was that the toe could not be adjusted due to the age of the tie-rod ends. Not even a torch was able to break the nut loose. So I'll be replacing those soon, as the toe is just a touch out-of-spec. Nothing major, though.

As for the tire itself, they are assuring me that these tires (Goodyear Assurance Comfortred Touring) have a nice thick sidewall, which leaves me with a good half-inch of rubber behind that torn chunk. That's certainly good to hear, but I'll keep an eye on it anyway. This car does not get autocrossed or see track/strip duty.

·
Super Moderator
11,865 Posts
I wish I had caught the plate. The good Samaritan who stopped didn't catch it either. I had my dashcam running, but the footage is too low-res to read anything. I fear a police report would just be a complete waste of time, both for me and for the cops. "Silver/grey late-model Ram" on a busy main street really isn't enough to go on. There's no chance of finding the driver now.

The truck didn't fit the bro stereotype. It looked fully stock. No special aftermarket identifying features. I don't understand how he thought that running me off the road was a better option than harassing the driver in front of him.

The wheels are stock 15" fan-blades. I still have the center caps sitting in a box so they don't get lost. Damage appears to be minimal; I'm more worried about the tire:
http://forums.tccoa.com/vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=7825&d=1448640791
You'd be surprised what the cops can pull from all those eyes on poles AKA intersection cameras. They may be able to find him from the video at a nearby intersection. Sorry about what happened. I've seriously been considering getting a dashcam or two myself for just such an occasion.

Glad to hear you got good news from Goodyear. Look on the bright side. It could have been a lot worse!

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
I'll second the dashcam suggestion.

Hopefully it's just a waste of money, but if you ever, EVER need it ...

Oh, and I've been playing with cheap ones. Let me give you some advice - Don't.

Just - Don't.

Cheap isn't even worth the money.

A friend of mine has a suggestion - find a Russian dashcam. They have them in a very high percentage of cars due to the graft, corruption, and incompetent drivers they have over there (notice how many dashcam videos on YouTube are Russian? There's a reason ... *diablo* )

RwP

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My dashcam is 1080P, but it gets very grainy in low-light conditions. Plates are much easier to read during the day.

It was a gift, and is definitely one of the cheaper units. Having used it for almost a year now, I definitely want to get a higher-quality one. If I can find one that I like, this might be a good time to jump on it with Cyber Monday right around the corner...

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
I've been checking the reviews out, and it seems like this unit is one of the better buys out there quality vis price.

However, I do not know - if you buy it, and it's pure $FECAL_MATTER, it ain't my fault! I'll be in the same boat holding my nose also *grins*

RwP

1 - 14 of 14 Posts