TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the rad blew coolant in the tranny, I flushed it all out after adding some
seafoam trans tune and running till warm. Re-filled w/ mercon V and
new filter. Ran fine on some short trips back and forth to town. Started a
harsh 1-2 shift with a studder on engagement. Almost didn't make it home
the last time - it acted like it was not engaged at all. Now in the drive it
shifts HARD into Rev from park but hardly any forward engagement.
Could this be a stuck accumulator or is it more serious?
I am going to have to part with my bird if I have to do another tranny.
This makes my third one in 270K miles.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
I think D/D says the Water breaks down the Glue on the Clutches or something... So in all likelihood it;s VERY DOA - 3 older Gen Trannys in 270K is about right actually.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That may be the death sentence cause after I did the last swap I said I wouldn't
do that again (in the driveway on my back for 3 days) and I still don't want to.
Problem is the Bird needs a paint job REAL bad and several little things that add
to more than I want to throw at this time. Maybe I should check w/ LKQ for a
used one and have it installed. This is the only car I ever bought new and
I don't know if I'll ever have anything I've liked as much. If it wasn't for
the paint thing I would probably keep it. What does a paint job cost these days? I got one quote for like$1500+
so I kinda dropped that.
Thanks
:mad:

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
One Owner like that I'd think the car a keeper if Rust Free - If not U can surely finnd a good body for $1500 ~! - You've got a great 99 casting & hard parts & VB already there so a relatively inexpensive bunch of Clutches & Software & TC oughta bring it back to life if you park it soon enuff & IF the Pump is'nt COOKED - This sad failure a reason the Guru's push the Air to Fluid Cooler when upgrading - It's really not that bad - Lines from Tranny run down Passenger side - With Tubing cutters remove section of Tubing Passenger side front - Flush lines & fit hose Barb adapters to Lines for hoses to new Cooler under Bumper Passenger Side - Just orphan out the remaining Lines that cross under Rad & terminate Driver side Rad - It's prudent to NOT mess with trying to remove Lines from Tranny, between the bi-metalic corrosion, the PLASTIC Rad end & the Aluminum Rad Core you are just asking for the BIG trouble you already have ~! - I would think you are ready for new Rad now so you'd have options.

It could be worse... you could be Bulldog Coach Mark Richt ~!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts