TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Administrator
8,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Irene

Ok folks........are we ready?

I'm getting sick of hearing all the hype and it's not expected here in New England until Sunday afternoon! :rolleyes:

Saturday morning I'll be taking my son back to school in Syracuse and I've already told the wife we'll be leaving "early" Sunday morning heading home. Right now it looks like it will track up the coast and with a lot of rain in the Hudson Valley area. We will be making tracks! :D

Joe

·
Super Moderator
10,417 Posts
If coastal evacuations push people north, you could see considerable extra traffic.

Hopefully, it hangs a right; like it should.

·
Super Moderator
11,931 Posts
LOL Sounds like a good excuse to leave work early, too bad it's hitting on the weekend.

Safe travels getting your son back to school~!

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
I'm about as ready as I can be. I have gasoline for the generator, LPG for the grill, plenty of food and water. I put my girlfriend's convertible in storage with mine so the top and interior doesn't get trashed. Both of my cars have full tanks of gasoline. Fortunately, where I live is high enough above sea level not to flood even in a category 5 hurricane. The storm is supposed to get here Saturday night/ Sunday morning as a category 2 or 3. Should be real interesting.

·
Registered
7 Posts
All you guys along the east coast try to stay safe. Yes, the news media do hype things up quite a bit so just play it smart. Hunker down/tie down or get the heck out of Dodge. Last time we had one which was Ike it wiped out lots of places. Storm surge is the bad part of these things
Mgino96tbird46,you need some adult beverages to go with that food. LOL

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'm about as ready as I can be. I have gasoline for the generator, LPG for the grill, plenty of food and water. I put my girlfriend's convertible in storage with mine so the top and interior doesn't get trashed. Both of my cars have full tanks of gasoline. Fortunately, where I live is high enough above sea level not to flood even in a category 5 hurricane. The storm is supposed to get here Saturday night/ Sunday morning as a category 2 or 3. Should be real interesting.
My car is full on gas, my grandma's is too.
I live on a hill so I'm not worried at all about flooding.
Even though I live in a trailer xD

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I hope all my East Coast friends are prepared for this storm!

Facts:
It's 600 miles across this storm (thats Baltimore, MD to Portland, ME).
No storm this size has hit east coast since 1898.
All the Navy's ships & subs moved out from VA out to sea cause of this.
NYC just evacuated 250 thousand people.
Storm surge is already hit 9 feet in NC and it's just getting there.

This is serious, prepare for no power and have some water!

·
Super Moderator
11,931 Posts
Which Hurricane should I drink to this storm?

Drinkmixer.com said:
#1 Hurricane recipe

1 oz vodka
1/4 oz grenadine syrup
1 oz gin
1 oz light rum
1/2 oz Bacardi® 151 rum
1 oz amaretto almond liqueur
1 oz triple sec
grapefruit juice
pineapple juice

Pour all but the juices, in order listed, into a hurricane glass three-quarters filled with ice. Fill with equal parts of grapefruit and pineapple juice, and serve.

#2 Hurricane recipe

1 oz vodka
1 oz gin
1 oz light rum
1/2 oz 151 proof rum
1 oz amaretto almond liqueur
1 oz triple sec
grapefruit juice
pineapple juice
grenadine syrup

Pour gin, rums, amaretto, and triple sec into a hurricane glass with ice. Add equal amounts of grapefruit juice and pineapple juice until almost full. Top with grenadine to taste.

Read more: Hurricane drink recipes http://www.drinksmixer.com/cat/3226/#ixzz1WB7Hg9K0
Seriously though everyone stay safe and keep your heads down. :zwall:

This is a dangerous storm!

·
Administrator
8,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks like I'll be heading tomorrow night after I drop my son off at school. It will be raining some, but nothing like Sunday.

Ron,
How about both?! :zbeer:

Joe

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Well I've done quite a lot of preparing, the eye is coming almost right over top of us here in Virginia Beach! Going to be a doozie! The house should be alright, it's the trees I'm worried about! Got a shelter in the center of the house, plenty of food, water, and bullets :D Hopefully flooding doesn't get TOO bad. Unfortunately the Cougar is on base at the Hobby Shop in storage....outside....next to a small wooded area.....I am praying for her to survive this storm unscathed....or at least somewhat intact :(

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Starting to get the outer bands now . Wind picking up and rain here and there . One bird in the roust the other under a cover . Ranger on its own :D. Bet I will see OT:mad:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Chiming in here from the shore of NJ. I've been preparing for 3 days now. I got all I needed to done other than closing my chain link fence fully. I cleared out my yard, gassed up the cars when there WAS gas in the state(I dont procrastinate!) got PLEANTY bottled waters, filtered water in the fridge and a beverage cooler filled with filtered watrer, have a cooler that's ready for ice to be put in for the wife's insulin and perishable foods, ziplock bags of ice chillin in the freezer in case the power goes out. I have pleanty of batteries, flashlights, and candles. I had a huge tv antenna on my roof that I removed this afternoon, and tared over some of the 'questionable' areas of my roof that I never noticed till I was up there today.

Rte 72 going onto Long Beach Island has been closed eastbound since 6pm today, it's only westbound traffic to get everyone off the island, the Garden State Parkway from exit 0 to 98 southbound is CLOSED, it's ONLY northbound traffic. I'm less than a mile from the Barnegat bay, and only a couple blocks to the intercoastal waterway. We are under a voluntary evacuation where I live. It's not manditory yet but I have not made my decision as to stay or go. My house is about 12 feet above sea level and 3-4 feet above road level. Right now we are taking every precaution we can, and if it becomes manditory to leave we have a plan set. I'm not in a typical flood zone, but they say this is a 100 year 'flood event' possibility. The storm is staring us dead in the face, but it's going to be weaker than it is currently that will be hitting NC. Either way it's NOT looking like a good situation. The last time we had a hurricane hit us was back in 1985 when Hurricane Gloria came in. I still remember that storm to this day and I was 6 years old then. Funny enough, my oldest daughter is 6 years old. As for now, time to go to sleep, cause I can gaurentee tomorrow night I'm not going to be sleeping.

To everyone on the east coast, be smart and be safe!!

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Through 5pm: A few scattered showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy and windy. Temperatures steady in the low 80s. Winds NNW at 20 to 25 mph. Pretty much quite here :cool:

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I think people are overreacting quite a bit. While I believe this, I also believe that it is better to be safe than in a puddle where my house used to be.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Through 5pm: A few scattered showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy and windy. Temperatures steady in the low 80s. Winds NNW at 20 to 25 mph. Pretty much quite here :cool:
How did you make out?

I think people are overreacting quite a bit. While I believe this, I also believe that it is better to be safe than in a puddle where my house used to be.
Well if you were as close to the beach as me, you dont take crap like this lightly. I'm 2 blocks from the intercoastal waterway, so water is ALWAYS a concern. It's not all about the winds when it comes to a hurricane.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts