TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my dad's 97 T-bird LX 4.6 with 59,000 original miles, only bad spot on the whole car is near the pass side rear wheel, it is getting rust there, think it is from the sunroof drain tube, might take it to a body shop and see what I can do about it.

I was almost thinking of parting the 95 but can't due to the body being so nice, the mystic purple paint is fading on the roof and the trunk and the bumper is peeling, aftermarket power roof leaks if it rains too, maybe needs new seals, but body is mint and rust free, plus I just like the looks of 94-95 a lot more. I am going to swap the motor on the 95 very soon. I got to redo the front end all the parts are worn not a big deal though. Also decided to do the explorer motor swap and see how that pans out. Anything is a plus from the original motor though I never really trusted it in the first place.

It will be interesting to have both as soon as the 95 is done I will reunite it with its 97 sibling.

I spent many days before deciding to buy it thinking it was just not a good idea but figured in the end just to do it. I plan so sell my 97 Dodge to make up for the money, I hated to as I just replaced all the gaskets on the motor, did the inner rod bushings and put on new tires. I guess it is what it is. I guess when I sell it I wont be the only one that got a good deal on the car they just bought. L.O.L. being I paid very well below book value on my dad's bird but he just wanted it gone who was I to say no....

·
Registered
121 Posts
Nice, congrats on getting one.

I've been toying with the idea of getting another MN-12. Perhaps a Supercoupe.

On the bright side you can preserve it and keep it in good hands by buying your dad's car. :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, it was a lot of contemplation but my dad was becoming frusterated with the results on craigslist and was about to really just give it to some random stanger for 1900.00 so I decided to just do it and I wrote the check figuring I wont find another one for that price with the v8 with that low of mileage on it. I just cant tear away from my 95 so I decided to sell some of my other stuff and make up most of the money so I can be at ease with it.

After 2 years I will be behind the wheel of a Thunderbird again, my 95 has been on and off for me something always seems to break that is important for it to run and drive at least that is how its been for the last 3 years, hope the 97 isn't like that or I'm screwed.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool thanks the explorer engine is really what I want, was going to do the dohc mark route but I don't have the time to mess with it, so I decided to put it on craigslist to see if anyone would buy it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
IIRC when I met up with Rob he also had a DOHC 4.6. Unless he sold that already. I was thinking about it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts