TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK here goes. I got an old CD player from a friend (for free) and put it in my Cougar since it didnt have a CD player.
Anywho I had my friends help me out on the CD player install (because I had no idea what I was doing) rigged up the wiring harness, plugged the thing in and it works fine. A couple hours later when I was driving the whole thing died. Checked the fuses and it keeps blowing the little 5amp fuse under the hood that's listed as the memory fuse. My friend , that has been into stereos for a while now, was baffled as to what the problem was. So we put a 7.5amp fuse in it's place and it has yet to blow. However when I'm playing a song with alot of bass the lights on the Cd player will deem according to the beat of the bass, and if a song has too much bass then the whole thing will skip and become fuzzy.

Is this because I still have my stock speakers? What would a fuse that runs for a 'memory' function have anything to do with a stereo?

I'm new at the stereo game and also very confused right now.

thanks for any and all help!:confused:

FYI: The CD player is a 97 model Alpine 35x4amp or watt or whatever

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
that memory wire is just a constant voltage wire to your cd player so it can store information, like the time, when your car is shut off. the dimming probably doesnt have much to do with your stock speakers, you are just drawing power from your battery so things are going to dim a little. the only solution for that is to use less power, get another battery or get a power cap.

the skipping could be caused just from the bass. even with stock speakers your cd player is going to pump out a decent amount of power. my pioneer does the same thing when there is a decent bass track, even with just the stock speakers. it doesnt skip, but it does dim a little. your cd player could just be old and wearing and not able to handle the small shock

·
Registered
467 Posts
yeah my old pinoeer did the same thing...it always dimmed when i hit....what i did was i hooked a fusable link from the batter and ran a wire from there to the power side of the cdplayer...not the memory.....i done this just incase i were to blow a fuse it wouldn't shut off my instruments lights and so on..after i done this that prob. stopped..

·
Registered
319 Posts
you should connect the positive wire of the head unit to the positive terminal of the battery, i had the same problem when i got my alpine head unit installed at circuit city, the idiots connected it to the stock positive wire but the amp inside the head unit requires a guage larger than any stock wire, it would dim and what not, so i bought 10 guage wire and wired the battery straight to the head unit, like the instructions said for the head unit said by the way. no problems yet, just make sure you put a fuse on the wire that goes to the battery. also, i think my fuse is a 10 amp, im quite sure though, its either 15 or 10 i know that much.

·
Registered
855 Posts
i'd also make sure that your ground is connected to a good piece of metal on the chasis.....you shouldn't have the ground wire from the deck w/ the black wire of the harness for ground because sometimes it's not even connected. just some helpful input

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
I think everybody may be missing the key clue on this one. No matter how much power your deck needs, it should NEVER pop the MEMORY line. My guess is that instead of the switched wire for power, they hooked the power up to the memory feed. This circuit is not designed for anything more than an amp or two at most.

The best way to know for sure is if you can play your radio with the key off. If so, there's like a 90% chance that's what they did. If not, and you can verify that everything is hooked up right, get a new player. It may be screwed up or have its wires labeled wrong.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
We put in a 10 or 15 amp fuse in mine. I don't think it's supposed to be hooked up to 5 amp. We had it blow before. Although it may have been a wiring problem with wiring something up. But there should be no problem with a 10 amp fuse there.

·
Registered
467 Posts
a way to check to see if it is the memory is to set some radio station and shut the car off for a few...the chekc to see if station is saved..

if its not the the power and memory wires are crossed.....because the memory is constant from battery and power is from key switch,

like sir will has replied..i miss understood.

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
i had the same problem in my old car (93 bird). i was blowing the memory fuse all the time so i put a 10 amp fuse in and never had a problem again. This also happend on my friends 93 cougar, we put a 10 amp in his too. I've also owned a 90 bird and now i have a 97 and neither of these two had any problem with blowing the memroy fuse. I'm not sure what causes it.

Frank

1 - 10 of 10 Posts