TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pride and joy. I was out n about to look for some part for the Mustang. Was going to make a left hand turn, took a glance for oncoming traffic, didn't register in my brain that there was a F250 oncoming, and I made the left turn. Got smacked right at the rear passenger wheel, spun me around, and hit a parked truck on my driver's side. Air bags deployed. Smacked my right elbow against the center console hard enough to shift the trim on the other side of where it sits. Rear windows exploded. Both rear wheels are at a negative camber. Hit hard enough to trip the inertia switch. It looks like it'll be totalled. I'm going to see if I can salvage any of the good parts off of it. I, at the very least, want the cylinder heads. I don't think I have the want or ability to take anything else off the car other than maybe the drive shaft. Even the heads are going to be a pain in the butt to pull. I'm okay, just heart broken. No one else was hurt. The car saved my butt, big time. The F250 had to have been going 25-30 mph while towing a big piece of machinery. I don't even have the energy to post the pics right now. I never wanted it to end like this. I've had this car since I was 14 years old. I put over 100,000 miles on her. In a sense, it was my best friend. :crying:

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Glad to hear you are OK. Buy a southern car and transfer everything over.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Eh, he would have no motivation to do that, as it wouldn't be the same car. The sentimental value in this car is priceless; many of us have offered to help him repair the car, and have even gone so far as to find a donor chassis to pull a rear section from for less than $300

I'll post some pics...

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
So sorry! Glad you're ok. These cars are very tough, my last one did me a solid when I got rear ended and took the hit for me, kept me and the girlfriend at the time safe and sound.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
My condolences. Loss is hard, but grieving over a loss is even harder.

Or, as my dad would say... "suck it up son, it's just a car.... here's a $100... go buy another POS...." He never liked my cars.

·
Super Moderator
9,188 Posts
Truly awful news dude... :(

·
Registered
874 Posts
Heart broken isn't even the start. Glad nobody is hurt. This why I don't really drive my car much anymore... so afraid it will meet the same fate. Had the car since I was 18 in High school. So much sentimental valve to me any other car just wouldn't be the same..

·
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As much as I'd like to have her back the way she was before the accident, I just can't justify trying to piece it back together. Emotionally, the thought of it is just so exhausting. I have another car to drive, had it nearly as long, since I was 16. Both of my babies mean a whole lot to me. I might buy it back and pull the good stuff from it like the heads, the drive shaft, some of the bolt on's and sell them. Hold on to the money for a rainy day fund, which I do not have. Between possible legal fees and dealing with deductibles, I'm going to be strapped for cash for a while. The car was hit in the rear once before, was damn near totaled then, I think it's time for me to let it go. Not exactly how I planned to part ways with this one, but what's done is done. I'm very certain it'll be a total loss. Now, if insurance will pay to have it fixed, then I'll let it happen, but I'm not going to do all that work or put my friends through all of that. It's my car, I'll do what I'm going to do with it.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
As much as I'd like to have her back the way she was before the accident, I just can't justify trying to piece it back together. Emotionally, the thought of it is just so exhausting. I have another car to drive, had it nearly as long, since I was 16. Both of my babies mean a whole lot to me. I might buy it back and pull the good stuff from it like the heads, the drive shaft, some of the bolt on's and sell them. Hold on to the money for a rainy day fund, which I do not have. Between possible legal fees and dealing with deductibles, I'm going to be strapped for cash for a while. The car was hit in the rear once before, was damn near totaled then, I think it's time for me to let it go. Not exactly how I planned to part ways with this one, but what's done is done. I'm very certain it'll be a total loss. Now, if insurance will pay to have it fixed, then I'll let it happen, but I'm not going to do all that work or put my friends through all of that. It's my car, I'll do what I'm going to do with it.
If you're going that route, let Matt buy it off you.

·
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll consider it. Matt is a stand up guy. I wouldn't mind selling the goodies to him or you. Heads, drivetrain. Even if I buy it back from the insurance company, it will have a salvage title for the rest of that car's life.

·
Super Moderator
16,833 Posts
It's actually worse than I expected:( I'm really glad you're ok! One caveat is, and perhaps this is a selfish outlook of mine, if I were to part ways with my Cougar in this fashion, I'd rather have it be by my hand behind the wheel rather than someone I lent it to, or worse, sold it to, that would be truly devastating and I don't think I could ever forgive that individual. At least it's legitimate closure, it's losing a loyal pet, really, in terms of time, passion and money invested it is similar. I've had mine since I was 17, so like you I've got 10+ years into it, and even though I've tried to imagine this scenario as mine too a DD(when roads aren't salty) and plan to keep it that way, I'm not exactly sure how I'd cope in reality.

I definitely think you should buy it back though and get as much as you can of value, those parts will end up at a junkyard and either end up the deal of a lifetime for someone or end up melted down for scrap value.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I'll consider it. Matt is a stand up guy. I wouldn't mind selling the goodies to him or you. Heads, drivetrain. Even if I buy it back from the insurance company, it will have a salvage title for the rest of that car's life.
Salvage is better than nothing lol. I would love to see the car saved and put back to use in some form or fashion, probably more than you would...I know Matt has the means and the time/garage to fix it in, and the persistence...it could make for a great track car. I mean salvage or not, it's not going to make much of a difference to one of us who knows the story.

Also, don't forget to try for a higher assessment like Matt did, like him, you can provide receipts of work you've had done and the value of the parts in the vehicle. This would significantly increase the value to a point where it could lean in your favor to avoid totaling, just a thought. I mean as we know, the heads, driveshaft, torque converter, differential, etc. add up to almost 3 times the initial vehicle value, that's a good bargaining piece. Don't forget wheels, etc. either. If you pitch a good enough story to the adjuster, they will sometimes do right by you.

·
Super Moderator
11,928 Posts
A higher assessment will make it more expensive to buy back. It's something to consider.

So sorry Mike. Best wishes with whatever course of action you take with it.

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Heart broken isn't even the start. Glad nobody is hurt. This why I don't really drive my car much anymore... so afraid it will meet the same fate. Had the car since I was 18 in High school. So much sentimental valve to me any other car just wouldn't be the same..
X2 Sorry to see this Mike, Take care .

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Sorry to hear about this.

Al

·
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll have to see what angle the claims adjuster wants to play on this one. I'll definitely need help salvaging the good stuff that's in the car like the engine and drivetrain as I don't have the space in my garage to store that stuff. A good $3000 is in there, even if it has just under 40K of mileage on it.

·
Super Moderator
10,414 Posts
I'm driving Lazarus; he was that bad off.

It's repairable; pull out the rear, put in a new IRS section, and pay a body guy to work it over.

It's about $10k to bring it back, but WTF; it has to disintegrate into rust to be free.

:grin2:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts