TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I live in a rather rural town (at teast by my standards). Manage a local Radioshack and enjoy not having to deal with traffic anymore.

Here's part of an email I just received at the store for work to be done:

Description of work: replace (2) oversized windows & division bars on the store front that was damaged by bullet holes. Total, $3708.75.

I'm sorry but.... :uppoint::uppoint::uppoint:

WTH is the world coming to? :)
I mean one of those windows was barely 3 weeks old from someone throwing a brick through it to grab two toys ($30 value) This has been happening at night lately.
As long as it doesn't hit my bonus, all I can do is sit back and laugh about it. This one even made the local paper. Ah, country life is refreshing. At least the track is 15 mins away from my house. :thumbsup:

Jim

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
wow.. good on ya. lol. that was pretty gangsta tho, shooting up the local radioshack.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
I wanted to move to PA but NYC is the **** theres no place in the world like it I wouldnt want to be more then a few hours away from it theres no place in PA like NYC

·
Registered
600 Posts
I wanted to move to PA but NYC is the **** theres no place in the world like it I wouldnt want to be more then a few hours away from it theres no place in PA like NYC
^Agreed. I used to live in NY and then moved to DE. I hear all these stories about how center city in Philadelphia is like a mini NY. Sorry, but it definitely is not.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, I agree. I'm there once a month to party and have fun, just won't move back to live there. It's only 4 hrs away.

Jim

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
^Agreed. I used to live in NY and then moved to DE. I hear all these stories about how center city in Philadelphia is like a mini NY. Sorry, but it definitely is not.
Philly is Philly, NY is NY. some people are just idiots that's don't get what makes them unique.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
yea NY is the **** philly is beat (not as much as boston though)
If you say so I havent been back to either one in at least 15 yrs. I've been meaning to take a summer road trip back up to Philly for years now - but I wouldn't want to live there full time again. :tongue:

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
actually yes I have been in boston in the past 5 years no interest in philly I have it all here in NY (except your Florida warm weather !!)

·
Super Moderator
11,921 Posts
Take one or two of those security cameras off of the shelf and mount it/them to the exterior of the building. If it doesn't deter them at least you'll have a better chance of identifying the punks.

That's a much cheaper solution then replacing $1500 windows every few months.

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
A good ole boy with a 590 would cure the problems ;)

This is why I hate urban areas. Indy is the biggest city I'd work in, Terre Haute is the biggest city I'd want to live in.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Take one or two of those security cameras off of the shelf and mount it/them to the exterior of the building. If it doesn't deter them at least you'll have a better chance of identifying the punks.

That's a much cheaper solution then replacing $1500 windows every few months.
That makes alot of sense. But then again were talking about Radio Shack. Common sense seems t be in short supply there... :D

·
Hittin' Switches
1,484 Posts
Yeah, im a manager at circuit city, and in the next 2 months im going to be transfered to another location... as long as its a reasonably safe city, im good.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got a call from my district manager today and was offered a promotion to a large volume store half way between where my store is and Baltimore in MD. It'd take me an hour to get there with no traffic. Sure it's more money, but it would mean no quality of life whatsoever. Oh, and the store closest to that location is notorious for getting held up at gunpoint. Um, no thanks. :)

Dear Mr. Southpaw,

having managed a store for an evil fortune 500 corporation mentioned above for over three years, I can tell you that you will get your wrists slapped so quick, you won't know what hit ya if you think you can make use of your common sense and setup a system by store-using products.
Please spare me the trouble of demeaning me over the internet. I get to hear that at work from the "I've shopped at this store since before you were born" type of customers every day.
Some of us actually have common sense, but are held down by the big guys. :rolleyes:
BTW the quote for a proper video system that is approved by the building manager came in at just over $2,000 and was immediately shutdown by the district administration.
So I'll take what I got, and that is experience to go along with my bachelor's in management. I hope I didn't come off too rude, but we're not all ego pumped know-it-all types in here. Some of us are good guys that go the extra mile.

Jim

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Think about what you just said and what I've said. You've had $3700 in windows shot up and 3 weeks before a smash and grab for $30 in toys.

Your managing a store the sells surveillance equipment. You could easily set up one of those systems inside the store and just point it at the window. But your hamstrung from doing that because it's not a proper security system nor do you have the know how and creativity to wing it with what's available to you in-store.

If your store is like any other RS I've been in the last 20 years you could probably just point one of the shoplifting camera's towards the store window in the evening before leaving too. But you can't do that either. Or is it that RS doesn't record those cameras and they're just for the employees to stare at the monitor in real time?

So you have to get a quote for an approved security system. It'll cost 2K and corporate balked at that and shot your request down like a duck in hunting season.

I stand by my comment.

That makes alot of sense. But then again were talking about Radio Shack. Common sense seems t be in short supply there...
If you feel personally demeaned by association that's your problem. Nobody forces you to work with "those people" that also work at RS.

And btw before you were even born I was a young kid shoplifting at RS and stealing dozens of project parts right before the eyes of moronic RS employees who can't tell their ass from a hole in the wall. That includes the store managers. ;)

Anyway good for you. You've gained 3 valuable yrs experience working in a moronic corporate retail environment. That experience will serve you well in other moronic corporate environments, like Best Buy. I hear upper management is a real bunch of winners there too. :tongue: :D

I hope the pay is worth it because I can't imagine why else a smart sane person would want to work there for years on end. :zdunno:

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You've completely missed my point. You can stand by your your statement all you want. Have fun with your project parts and next time I need advice on how to do my job I'll call you. Thanks!

Jim

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Somehow I'm not surprised the point a RS employee was trying to make went right over my head. :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts